Thread: Big increase in pain, UTI?

Big increase in pain, UTI?

I have been dealing with this for about one month now. I have had two urine cultures that have came back contaminated?? I just had my suprapubic catheter changed along with a fresh urine specimen, still waiting for the results. So, all this time I have had a big increase in pain from hip to hip/bladder area which is very uncomfortable along with some pin prick tingling also. I have no other symptoms of a UTI except for this pain. In the meantime, I went out and bought me some AZO, which is supposed to help you reduce urinary tract pain until you get your culture along with an antibiotic the doctor prescribes. This AZO has really reduced my pain, that's why I think it has something to do with some form of a UTI? Does anyone know what's going on? Would I be considered colonized by just having pain? This is just so strange, I'm also running out of patience with my doctor, should she at least give me something while I'm waiting for a clear result?? Any ideas?

Perhaps you need a different urologist who is more responsive to your needs.

Have you been tested for bladder stones? Have you had a recent cystoscopy?

How are you collecting your urine specimens?

(KLD)

Hi Rollin Rick,

I had pain in my right side liver area and around towards the back that kinda crept up after 24 years post-SCI. Whenever I took antibiotics (Cipro) for a UTI the pain would almost go away. So whenever the pain got really bad I started on the Cipro again and the same thing happened... the pain would reduce or even completely go away for a little while but would then come back.

So I had an IVP done thinking that I had bladder or kidney stones and the urologist said I had the kidneys of a man 20 years younger. I was so proud of the good care I took of my kidneys. Haha. Hey, it was nothing that I did... just lucky or it's in my genes. Or all that rented beer I passed through them. But that didn't help with my pain.

Then a year later I had an ultrasound done of my abdomen and chest x-rays taken since I smoke a lot and was thinking maybe lung cancer in the lower lobe of my right lung. I held my breath (as long as I could) until I got the results of the chest x-rays. She said my lungs looked fine and nothing wrong showed up in the ultrasound either. Phew... ducked the Big C bullet for now! She gave me a quick IV of antibiotics and a script for Augmentin for a bacterial colonization/UTI... hey, back then I loved my antibiotics. Keep 'em comin'! I'm no longer colonized or get UTIs. New and improved IC program.

But the pain persisted so I went to a doctor who I thought was a physiatrist but was really only into sports injuries and pain management. But I needed a doctor anyway and some Medicare paperwork done for a wheelchair and cushion so what the hell. I asked her for a CT Scan to be done of my abdomen and x-rays taken of my spine and she agreed. Everything checked out fine except for a slight indication of something wrong on the spinal x-rays but with nothing to compare it to from my past it wasn't of much or any help. But the CT Scan showed the beginning signs emphysema! *Cough* Damn, I thought I escaped that with the good results of my chest x-ray. Those stupid CT Scanners... what do they know/show anyway?

So long story long... I finally tried Neurontin (gabapentin) for the pain and it worked and I'm on it now and pain free for the most part. 400mgs x 5 a day. My long 3 year nightmare was finally diagnosed. Neuropathic pain.

When you're paralyzed (I forget the medical terminology) your body can have a certain area where pain manifests itself at. So even if your left kidney has a pain it, it may manifest itself on your right side. So I was mixing up my "normal" UTI pain with the new neuropathic pain that I think eminates from my spine. 24-27 years sittin' in a damn wheelchair while paralyzed can't be good for your spine and can aggravate/pinch the nerves in it. I guess?

So perhaps, before going through a bunch of tests it would probably be easier to try Neurontin (gabapentin) for a couple of weeks and see what happens. That is unless you're already on it. It drove me nuts for a couple of weeks so I got on Valium (diazepam) to help with that but no longer need it but take it anyway. I'm kinda highstrung... like a Thoroughbred... or inbred... my grandfather did marry his first cousin! Haha.

If the Neurontin (gabapentin) doesn't help then I don't know what to tell ya but heed Nurse KLD's good suggestions and hang in there.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob,

thanks for the great story and your advice. I'm really starting to think that it may be neuropathic pain myself as my urine culture came back negative.

KLD,

back in June of 06 I was in the hospital on an IV antibiotic as I was resistance to all oral antibiotics. As I experienced pain back then also, they put me through the CAT scan and found nothing wrong anywhere. Since I have been put through the CAT scan along with numerous bloodwork and urine samples, should I still do a follow-up with my urologist since I've had my suprapubic catheter in for five years? I know I should be doing this yearly, but it has been three years now since my checkup. I figured I wouldn't bother because the scan would have found something along with everything else if something was wrong?

You could have developed stones in the last 6 months, and if you have unexplained pain or problems related to your bladder, a cystoscopy is indicated. An abdominal/pelvic ultrasound can also be done to screen for stones. See your SCI urologist as soon as you can.

(KLD)