Thread: 11hr flight

11hr flight

In February I'll be having an 11hr flight from Vancouver to Seoul (visiting brother) and had a few questions with people who've hand long flights before. I've read a few topics here that suggest or mention an indwelling cathedar. I haven't had one of these since I was originally in the hospital nearly ten years ago and I'm not keen on getting one for the flight. I've checked with Air Canada (the plane itself) and it has an accessible bathroom-- ie. they'll have an on board aisle chair and the stewardess will push me to the bathroom. Has anyone had experience with air canada and this?

Any other recommendations/advice/personal experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danie
    Any other recommendations/advice/personal experiences would be appreciated.
    It would help to know if you are male or female and what type of disability you have. Everyone has different physical limitations and abilities, so it would be easier to give you specific suggestions if we have a bit more information.

C.

Kind of silly for me to leave out the important info. Sorry, lol

I'm female and have an incomplete spinal cord injury. My biggest concern is the situation of the bathroom. I self-cathedarize four to six times a day, depending on when I feel I need to go (Usually I can tell up to 10-20 minutes before hand and can hold if necessary). I'm not on a bowel program and again go when I need to.

Also, I'm concerned over DVT. Would the stockings (I forget the name) that help with circulation be benefical?

Quote Originally Posted by Danie
    Kind of silly for me to leave out the important info. Sorry, lol
    Hey, no problem. The internet is no place to disclose personal information anyway!

I'm female and have an incomplete spinal cord injury. My biggest concern is the situation of the bathroom. I self-cathedarize four to six times a day, depending on when I feel I need to go (Usually I can tell up to 10-20 minutes before hand and can hold if necessary).
    If you can transfer easily, then I can't imagine you'll have any problems. I would just verify as close to the time of your flight departure exactly what the equipment is (type of aircraft) and that it does indeed have an aisle chair on board and an accessible bathroom. I think only the larger aircraft have those bigger bathrooms and they're not very big really. Still, transfering in and out of the bathroom shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I'm concerned over DVT. Would the stockings (I forget the name) that help with circulation be benefical?
    This isn't something I've ever really worried about and I don't ever wear TED hose when I fly and I fly at least a dozen times a year. If this is something you've had a problem with or want to be cautious about, I would suggest talking to your physician personally. Better to get advice on that from someone who is familiar with your medical history, rather than just general info on the net.

Have fun in Korea!

C.

Thanks for your advice!

Danie,
    I would definitely wear the stockings. I'm also an incomplete sci and have had problems with DVT. I think they started with a long road trip w/little movement of my legs. I wear my hose on all long road trips and any flight, no matter the length.
    As far as the restroom, if it is accessible and you can transfer, I wouldn't use a foley. I also wear one of my wife's kotex on our roadtrips. It at least keeps my clothes clean and dry if I can't get to a rest stop quick enough.
    One final suggestion, I always get a prescription for an antibiotic for UTI's just in case. You never know where you'll be when you get a UTI.

Have fun on your trip.

Mike