View Poll Results: How do to manage your bladder?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reflex voiding (External catheter, bladder emptiies itself as needed)

16 23.88%
  • Sphincterotomy & External catheter

1 1.49%
  • Indwelling catheter, urethral

7 10.45%
  • Indwelling catheter, supra-pubic

9 13.43%
  • Intermittent cath (How often?)

30 44.78%
  • Urinary diversion

3 4.48%
  • Other (Please explain)

4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do to manage your bladder?

How do to manage your bladder?

I'm a C4/5 Quad post 28 years. I've always relex voided, but about 1 1/2 years ago I started having problems not being able to void. It got better for about a year & started up again last month. (See the following post if interested: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=74838

Long story short, looks like I'm probably going to have to do something different & I thoughtI'dc take a poll to see what everyone else does. I know everone's different, but thought this would be interesting... I hope it hasn't been done alreay, I did a search & didn't find anything like it.

Please explain the Pro's & Con's (What you like & don't like about your bladder maintence) Also, how often you get UTI's you get, if any.

This should be interesting,,,, I am sure that you know that reflex voiding may not be the best thing for your health. However, given that you have onei it for so long, anything else for at least the short run will seem like it takes a lot of time. ICP could be one way to go- the other way could be a suprapubic tube. Both have pros and cons.

I will check in throughout the week and see how it is going.

CKF

I marked "Other". No external cath. I do crede into a decapitated water bottle. It's been 30 years and I will need to find an alternative as I can now only hold about 200cc. I'll probably go with foley to start as I've used them a few times in the past.

Brian
    Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?

If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I am sure that you know that reflex voiding may not be the best thing for your health.
    So why did the panel of experts for the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine include it in their list of recommended bladder management techniques?

I intermittently cath. (C-6 inc.) I have enough pinch to do it myself. On average I do it every 6 hours, sometimes I do it in as little as 4 and have gone as long as 8-10 hours. It depends on what I'm doing i.e lying flat, exercising etc. My cathing schedule revolves around my life and not the other way around, or at least I try to keep it that way, although when my bladder speaks I listen, otherwise I leak.

Drawbacks, sometimes I leak in bed before I wake up in the AM
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

So why did the panel of experts for the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine include it in their list of recommended bladder management techniques?
    Quadfather, since I am on the steering committee for the Consortium, I can address this. We struggled a long time with how to present the bladder guidelines. We were advised by our research staff to not even attempt to write them, since most clinical practice guidelines are prescriptive, meaning they tell you the single best way to do something (best practice), based on research. There was so much disagreement about all the different bladder management methods in the literature, and between experts in the field (most of whom helped write the guidelines), it was decided NOT to recommend one method over another, even though there may be good evidence from research that some methods are safer for long term use. Instead, an expert "champion" of each method researched and wrote the second on "their" method, with the understanding the this would present the "best" way to use this particular method, but without recommending one over another. This was the only way we were able to get it written. The guideline does not endorse the method, just shows the best way to do each method that exists.

(KLD)

I am answering for my husband. He IC's 4 to 5 times a day. He can tell when he needs to go when the volumes reach 350 to 400cc. He never leaks.

I do an intermittent cath about every 3-4 hours. it's a pain having to do it so often. They told me when I was in rehab that I'd be able to go about 6 hrs. but if I wait ant longer that 4 I leak. I also take Ditropan XL 15mgs to help with leaking.
    "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

I intermittent cath every 6 to 8 hours. In other words 3 to 4 times per day. I have only had problems with leaking when I have a UTI. My bladder has always seemed to be able to handle large volumes but I will be going sometime soon for a urodynamics study so I will be able to know more about what is really going on with pressures and volumes.
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I should drink some water every once in a while. But I cath about 3-5 times a day.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria