Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Shower

Rain Shower

Okay, I lowered the shower area floor. Now I'm researching shower fixtures. Does anyone have familiarity with a "rain shower" shower head? How does the RS experience differ from a standard shower? Any feedback appreciated. How about body sprays? Cool gimmick, or love it and continue to use it after the novelty wears off? I know I want a fixed shower head and a handheld shower.

Any other "must haves" to consider in the roll-in shower I am building?

I'm a low level para, but I'm building to ADA standards. Never know when my level might change, or who else might wind up in my shower. Still, I won't build a Gimp shower. I rejected the fiberglass ADA unit the builder offered because it looked like a throw back from a 1950's institution. What I build must be as useful and enjoyable for AB's as wheelers. It must also be esthetically pleasing and have a little WOW factor.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Will you post a picture when youre done????

I am building a house soon and would greatly appreciate any ideas. I wont a functional shower also like you are describing but I refuse to do a "gimp shower" either.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Will you post a picture when youre done????

I am building a house soon and would greatly appreciate any ideas. I wont a functional shower also like you are describing but I refuse to do a "gimp shower" either.
    Daisy, I'll be happy to post pictures. I so appreciate seeing the shower photos that others including Olossgirl, CapnGimp, Chopperchick have posted. Love to see more if anybody wants to add to this thread.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Any other "must haves" to consider in the roll-in shower I am building?
    I go back and forth on the roll-in shower thing. I know some people need them, but I really like having a bathtub. Mostly for convenience. For instance, I play around with colouring my hair and the easiest way to do it at home is to flip my head over the side of the tub and lean on the edge.

Anyway, back to your question. The one problem I find with most roll-in showers I've used is that it seems that whoever designed it didn't stop to wonder where the person with the disability was going to put their wheelchair while they are actually taking a shower. Too many hotels don't even bother to put shower chairs in these things, but even with the ones that have shower benches of some kind, it seems that half the time they are located in a place that makes it difficult to transfer onto or transfer off of once you are wet. Or the way the floor slopes or where the walls are, etc, makes it difficult to move your wheelchair out of the way so it doesn't get wet, without risking having it roll across the room out of reach. I don't actually have an easy answer to this problem. I am just bringing it to your attention as a possible concern.

My husband and I are in the middle of a massive renovation of our new home. What a pain! Too many options. Too many decisions. And unless it has four wheels and an internal combustiuon engine, we're both misers when it comes to money, so we're not enjoying most of this. If it was one room or two, it would be fun to do just what we wanted, but the whole house? Yeesh!

I'm pretty sure I'm putting in a tub/shower in the master bathroom with a custom made shower bench. Grab bars will be installed in two places in the shower enclosure. We are finalizing the design in the next day or two. If anyone has seen a good looking tub bench that isn't stainless steel/putty vinyl/industrial looking, I would appreciate the info.

C.

Blog Entries
    I have a fixed head and a handheld. Fixed is about standard type you see anywhere. I never use it. My handheld is on a wall mounted, vertical bar. The clip/holder it slips into has an indexed 3 angle gizmo that I find works perfectly. I can point it to my lower body to keep me warm while I wash my hair and upper body. Then the reverse , letting the water go down my back, to keep me warm.
    I push my chair out of the shower and in front of me, i sit on my old bench with my back against the wall, no shower curtain. I lean out and grab the rear wheel, lean over and do my feet and legs. Took me a few times to get used to this as I have no balance. I keep an eye open so I know 'where I am'.
    Decided I did not need a back on my bench nor a shower curtain. I get very little splash and only the wheels get wet. The tracks I mop up are no problem as I mop often anyway.

The handiest thing is the plumbing. You set the temp seperate from the on/off handle. Never had one except in hotels when I travel. Always had to adjust temp when cutting water on and off before. To me, that was like indoor plumbing to a former outhouse owner,lol.
    Make sure you check out how your seating and chair placement agree/disagree. Kinda, try nefore you build if you see what I'm trying to say.
    My bro in law SWEARS by his giant rain head, even asked me if I wanted one. I'm cool with my handheld and it's associated wallmount.
    I have always used the handheld types PULSE mode for a 'gum awakener' in the shower. Gosh I would waste a lot of water if they weren't 'low flows'.

We did a bathroom for Jim last year, it's about 12'x12'. We tiled the floor with hexagonal tiles, like the old-type baths and the shower area (no curtain) is about 6'x4' and has subway tile up to the ceiling. The floor has a slight downward slope. We opted not to put grab bars in since they wouldn't be used, a showerchair is used instead. On the shower walls I had them set in porcelain hooks that match the tile and use those to hang shampoo/soap holders and equipment if needed-there are 4 hooks spaced around. The shower fixture is a handheld that also slides up and down. We also had a cubby hole made low in the wall adjacent to the shower for storage of the showerchair, on the other side, the bedroom, is a cutout for a TV high in the wall. The door to his bathroom from his bedroom is like a barn slider door, very Quad friendly and out of the way. One thing that is nice is the heat lamp in the ceiling. We also made sure there is plenty of landing space around the sink.

I just put a new shower head on my fixed shower unit a while ago called a "Oxygenics" and it works great, uses less water too. I never really cared for hand held showers heads and try and avoid them. My balance is not good and trying to hold a hand held with one hand and balance with just one hand is a little scary.

Infact here is a press release from today, they are now available in Target Stores Nationwide http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2...0104-002.shtml It shows a handheld in the picture, but they offer fixed units too.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 01-17-2007 at 01:21 AM.

I am AB and love my bodysprays ... now my husband never uses them because he is drowning!!! with that said if you choose to install this type of system make sure the sprays won't be hitting you right in the face!!! ours do move but it seems like no matter how we adjust them we have this problem ... my husband never uses the fixed showerhead he uses handheld only. I love the body spray showerhead combo!

Thanks to all. Nothing like the knowledge gained by daily (one hopes lol) use of your shower to learn the + & - of any configuration.

TR - Yeah, some of the hotel roll-ins have spent a lot of money to do it wrong. Some appear to be intended for someone who has an attendant (i,e,, controls that can't be reached from the bench ). I'm always grateful when the layout make sense. Most of what I know about bathroom design has been learned in hotels and motels. My pet peeve is when I arrive exhausted wanting a hot shower and bed, only to find that the hand held shower was left out of my reach at the top of the slide bar. Another sleepy, naked transfer to find something with which to knock it down. I have sometimes had to take plastic pool chairs for seating.

At home, I'm fortunate to have a tub for those few times that I want a bath (or if I decide to color my hair ). Good luck with your project. You and anyone else having questions may feel free to use this thread to ask for answers.

Capn - I like a fixed head for most of my shower and a handheld for places I want to direct a little more attention too. I like the separate temp and flow control valves in your shower. Noticed them right away. Do you know the brand of the fixtures? How about bil's rainhead?

Lilsister - Your bathroom sounds cool. I def want a way to keep shower toiletries within reach - a must!

Curt - thanks for the link!

OG - the woman who leaves all those toiletries in my shower is AB - so making it "universal" is more than an interesting concept. I really enjoyed your shower thread. Do you know make/model of your plumbing fixtures. You talked about some hefty discounts. I'd love for you to shoot me the vendor info.

About universal design & grab bars, fixed benches, etc. - I suggest that anyone who has open framing place wood blocking in any place that has even a remote chance of having something attached to the wall at a future time.

Again, I value and appreciate y'all taking the time to share what you have learned. Keep it coming - and let's see them pics!
    Foolish

update

Hi All.

After yaya'n around trying to decide what I wanted in a shower, I decided on a fixed head shower, a hand held shower, a rain shower, and a tub spout. All fixtures and valves are Kohler. There is one temperature valve and a separate volume control for each of the four fixtures.

Work has been slow, but I will get it done. It's finally ready for tile!

Here's a few pics. The red stuff is called Red Guard. It is there to waterproof the two niches and where the cement board joins the regular Sheetrock. The rest is just because I wanted to use up what was on the roller. The weights and the two 2"x4"'s under them are going to be removed. They are to press the PVC pan liner into the marine adhesive where the shower meets the main bathroom floor. There is no curb. The shower floor slopes down from the main floor.
    Foolish