Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 years post

I am c6/c7, 1 1/2 years. Incomplete in sensation. I was in rehab for the first year, getting 3 1/2 hrs. of therapy a day and now only 3 hrs. a week. I think I've gotten new sensation recently, a lot of new 'pain' feelings. I want to know what it is that I need to be 'working' to keep recovery coming. What do I work? What exercises do I do?

If you feel,,,, you may heel,
    Don't really know, every injury is different, so is everybody, my thoughts? do what ever you can, until it hurt's but not too much. And just keep at it, I am , I don't really know, I'm honest, but I really don't want to find out. I've had good recovery so far, so much more than anyone had expected. Young at heart, no closer to the grave. I just want to keep getting better. Most importantly, do things, that make you want to, and feel as normal as possible, you are going to have to do with less feeling, less motor skills, but it is not impossible. Look into, Patrick Rumerfeild, he is a very interesting guy, I've spoken with him, very approachable, he has a website, Pat Rumerfeild, and he is affiliated with Kennedy Kreiger in Washington DC. You can not find a more inspirational guy . Keep at it.

Hi Prof,

That's a good sign. I'm c6-7, Inc and 3yrs 10 mo. and I work at it everyday. I get more return everyday!! These days skiing is by far the best excercise, especially for the core muscles. On the other days I'll ride a staionary bike or walk on an elliptical trainer.

I can sit up straight now, both sitting and in a standing frame. I just started feeling muscles in my legs that feel like I can keep my legs straight. We'll see where it goes!

Keep at it. Pat

u get more return or just making stronger what you've already gotten back?

jb, Good question.

My experience includes feelings filling in as time goes by. As I excercise I do try to connect my thinking to the movement. I think it feels as if new nerves are growing and filling in things like proprioception, surface feelings and some temperature detection. Spasticity changes as feelings change and what a bizzare experirnce!

It's very encouraging to feel the muscle groups firing after literally years of imagining feeling them. After working the muscles I feel what I think is lactic acid. This feels like it did when I was AB after aa good workout. Since some nerves have filled in I notice that muscle buildup is happenning.

Pat

patd,
    Good to see I'm not the only one getting return, my injury is just over 3 years and the last month it has been a real trip. Last night it felt again, as if some one poured gas on my legs, and lit them on fire. The feet burned and moved so good, I was in shock. I put cream on the feet thinking they were dry, they were not. I was able to move both legs in circular motions evenly for the first time in three years. Today my back and neck are hurting below the point of injury, and I don't know what to do, except welcome the change.

Yesterday I went to the Doctor, who gives me botox shots in the legs, and he couldn't beleive what he was seeing, I can now call him "Dr. Frakenstein" . The drive home led to my eyes giving out, I've got too much neurologicly going on again, and need time to sort it out. Who would have thought someone at my age would get this return, I didn't. But everyday is a change again, I thought it had stopped, wrong again, I have beat my body since I was a young kid, and it has neve stopped to heal itself up again, some things just don't change. Off to the Gym.

Alhavel,

That's great! It hurts so good! Often my body will hurt and be spastic for a couple days and just when I can't take it anymore It will all of the sudden stop and show return!

I used to freak out when it hurt, but now it's just part of rehab. It's been a constant. Off to work! Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patd
    Alhavel,

That's great! It hurts so good! Often my body will hurt and be spastic for a couple days and just when I can't take it anymore It will all of the sudden stop and show return!

I used to freak out when it hurt, but now it's just part of rehab. It's been a constant. Off to work! Pat
    I second that Pat.Sometimes the spasms are so bad my body flips out.Then I can do something I couldn't before.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Right on!!!!!! Now I've got to get my eyes to work again, TBI, too I'm a real basket of cheer!!!!!

Hey guys, thanks for posting! What exercises do you do at the gym? Are you just strengthening muscles that are not paralyzed? or are you working paralysied parts, too? Does standing help you to get return, does stretching exercises? What, if anything, are you doing now that return is happening that you weren't doing before?

What about the spams? I've increased my meds to decrease my spasticity. Do I need the spams to get return? I know you're not an 'expert' to give me the professional, text book answer, but I would like to know what you think.
    Even though it's not well with my body,
    it is well with my soul.