Thread: Dr. Wise Young says..

Dr. Wise Young says..

I visited Dr. Wise Young's lab last night and heard him deliver a great presentation. He said something along the lines of ''90% of incomplete sci-s can be up and walking".

What are your feelings on this?

::EDIT::

found this: "Very few people have pure anterior, posterior, central, or Brown-Sequard syndromes. Most have mixtures. However, all of these conditions are "incomplete" spinal cord injuries and most people can recover substantial motor function. A recent study by Dobson, et al. (2006) indicated that over 90% of people with "incomplete" spinal cord injury can recover walking with intensive exercise. The study was designed compare the effects of treadmill weight-supported ambulation training and more standard rehabilitation overground and standing. To their surprise, they found that both courses of therapies resulted in 90% of the people walking. These are all in people during the first year after injury."

from http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/lo...php?t2487.html by Dr. Wise Young

Still curious about reactions.
    Last edited by special_k; 01-13-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to add the CONTEXT. I'm sure he was saying WHEN certain things happen in research discoveries that they just need time and money to develop.
    I don't think he is the type to blow smoke up anybodies arse. He has nothing to gain by it.

Quote Originally Posted by special_k
    I visited Dr. Wise Young's lab last night and heard him deliver a great presentation. He said something along the lines of ''90% of incomplete sci-s can be up and walking".

What are your feelings on this?

::EDIT::

found this: "Very few people have pure anterior, posterior, central, or Brown-Sequard syndromes. Most have mixtures. However, all of these conditions are "incomplete" spinal cord injuries and most people can recover substantial motor function. A recent study by Dobson, et al. (2006) indicated that over 90% of people with "incomplete" spinal cord injury can recover walking with intensive exercise. The study was designed compare the effects of treadmill weight-supported ambulation training and more standard rehabilitation overground and standing. To their surprise, they found that both courses of therapies resulted in 90% of the people walking. These are all in people during the first year after injury."

from http://www.apparelyzed.com/forums/lo...php?t2487.html by Dr. Wise Young

Still curious about reactions.
    Wished I was there, I've got enough injurys to fill a page here, don't really know if I'm incomplete or not. But I have recovered alot of what the article says. Stilll working on the rest after 3 years, no weight training treadmill, but walking in a walker or with a cane is strenious, to say the least. This gives me hope I will walk again, I'm 47,and I think it would have been alot eaisier if I was 27, but I do act like it, so maybe that is what keeps me going.
    The damn TBI, sucks, memory isn't very good, along with the neuro-eye problems that showed up after 2 years. But I'll get through it, most family lived well into there 90's, I still have along way to go all around.
    The Doctors didn't give me much hope the first few months, but I surprised them all, and defied them all,, all I can do is try to keep going ahead. One day I'll have to visit Dr.Young,,he is not that far from me. I'll give him a shot at figuring me out
    This is my reaction, maybe I'm not that far off the road after all.

As an incomplete, I have regained some ambulation. I fully agree with Al, walking with the walker has been very difficult at times. What is not described is what is considered "walking". I believe incompletes do recover something, not all of their prior functions. I am absolutely in Dr Wise's corner in his belief that intense exercisesdo help in recovery of motor functions. The intensive therapy i have been recieving has so far been a huge benefit to my recovery.