Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheelchairs???????????????????

wheelchairs???????????????????

I didn't know where to post this question but Ricky is wanting to get a lighter wheelchair that he can collapse to fit in a car. We just bought a car and he's wanting to drive it but all we see is someone always having to be with him so that he gets his wheelchair in and out--any suggestions? we have a 4 door car...and he's t-4 complete---

Four door cars are tough, every time I do some experimenting with various 4 doors, the chair is a pain to get in. The main sticking point is getting at the rear wheel release buttons with the B pillar in the way (this is with an 18" long rigid chair). That and fear of denting the heck out of the back door with the chair. It is do-able, but a PITA. A folding chair I think would be even more of a pain with a 4 door car. Anyway, my suggestion for a super light chair would be a TiLite TR, I like it. What sort of car did you guys get?

i drive a 4door intrepid, 2nd one actually, very easy, im inc c4-5. i suggest a colours eclipse

to answer your question *Andy* we got a BMW 330i
    It was a surprise to me and a very good one at that--so all weekend long we road around in it and was showing everyone and every where he wanted ot get out i had to pick the chair up out of the back seat and it is very heavy--so i told him to look into getting a lighter one---I don't mind picking it up for him it was a hassle after about the 50th time--hehe

other than that thanks for the advice and suggestions--i'll let him know of what ya'll told me
    take care

I would suggest some type of rigid titanium. There are several different ones out there (i.e. TiLite or quickie). To me the folding chairs are tougher to get in once folded. Just my opinion, though. And you would not believe the difference of the titanium compared to the weight of others chair( not sure what most others are made of...aluminum maybe?) Anyhow, I don't see him, being T4, having any trouble getting to the point where he can do it to. It is just a matter of finding the combination of equipment to fit your needs along with developing a method. Which may take some time and a few "trial and error"s. But, I do believe it is in reach! Good luck with everything!

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

[This message was edited by Amanda on 05-10-04 at 11:48 PM.]

Get a ultralight rigid its the only way to go. I find the cantilever frames are the best to get into a vehicle

Very nice car indeed...don't blame him for trying to show it off. I am a C-7 complete and I drove a 4 door jetta for 3 years until someone showed me a better alternative. The way I got my old heavy chair into the car was to pop off the rear wheels, put them in the back seat and then drag the frame across my body and put it in the passenger seat. I got tired of all the oil stains and breaking down the chair to get in and out. I drive an ext. cab ranger now...not as nice but a heck of a lot easier to come and go on my own.

330i, excellent choice, I love the BMW 3 series. I'm sometimes kicking around the idea of blowing a large chunk of change on an M3 with the SMG, but I cant seem to justify it. I think the 330 in the 3 series is always a more sensible alternative, you get the added features and better performance, and it isnt so 'entry level'. Enjoy the ride!

Oh yeah, pictures pictures pictures!

Rae, we have a 4 door and my husband has a colours he can easily get in and out on his own and put his chair on the back seat or on the front passenger seat when by himself as you know my hubby is a T4 like your man - btw he puts his chair on a towel or blanket not to scratch the leather up but usually I am with my husband so I just throuw the chair in the trunck faster and easier IMO. Chantale

Ti Sports chairs are light as hell and easy to break down (rigid frame). Frame protectors will help keep the frame tubes scrath free, too.