Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our home owners association got a piece of my mind today

** sound of me falling off my couch **

I have never, ever seen such outward hate! My god, what kind of horrible person does that???? While I would never wish ill will to anyone, I surely wish this person would perhaps have to spend a week in a wheelchair. I spent only 2 days in one after foot surgery and I was already very empathetic. After that I was floored with Chad's abilities and perseverence. Maybe that neighborhood has some upcoming foot surgery scheduled!!! Or run, over (his/her) foot so as to necesitate foot surgery. Oooppppss!

Quote Originally Posted by jenlongdon
    Ami,
    Good for you! My HOA has been a PIA too. The President of the Board lives right next door and one day recently told me that they didn't want "my kiind" living here. Tried to physically bully me and puts stuff on the sidewalks so I can't pass. Picks on my PCA when she comes and goes, etc. Said to me "So you're one of those people who thinks the world owes you because you're in a wheelchair" This is because of my ramps and things too.

I went to the next board meeting, explained a little about the ADA and how it trumps any HOA rules, also explained that blocking access to my mail was a FEDERAL crime and directing it at my disability also made it a hate crime. The rest of the Board was wonderful and most of my neighbors are great and supported me.

Took tons of phone calls and letters but I finally got a postal inspector to knock a few doors and explain what prosecution for a federal hate crime looks like. Mr. President gulped so hard he sucked his anus up somewhere near his eyeballs.

Haven't had a problem since. I know it was the equivilent of swatting a fly with an elephant gun but if I didn't draw a very clear do not cross line, he would have made my life miserable.

I'm glad you stood up to them. Keep up the good work!

Amazing. I find it hard to believe that people can act that way, let alone think that way. The elephant gun was well used.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jenlongdon
    Haven't had a problem since. I know it was the equivilent of swatting a fly with an elephant gun but if I didn't draw a very clear do not cross line, he would have made my life miserable.
    Actually, it sounds like you did exactly what you needed to do in order to confirm your rights and make your living situation bearable again. Good for you.

C.