Thread: returning hospital prescribed chair???

returning hospital prescribed chair???

I don't know if there is a miscommunication. my coverage at kaiser ran out in March '06. Around April '06 national seating and mobility starts calling me and leaving messages asking when they can pick up my chair "the rental" they called it. I am just assuming that thay meant the rental I had while I was waiting for my long term chair. But I got that from apria. So I called my OT from kaiser to ask her about it. She said the chair I ordered during my initial stay at kaiser post accident was mine, not a rental. So I finally called NSM to tell them this, because I would have felt real bad if my boyfriend beat up some guy for coming to my door to take the only wheelchair I have(not that bad actually). Anyway I called NSM the other day because I had ordered some parts and before I could even tell them why I was callling she told me they were trying to contact me to find out when they could pick up my chair because my coverage has run out. Am I hearing this right??? Does the insurance company take your chair when your coverage runs out? Maybe I was on so many meds after my accident that I didn't hear that part of the conversation. Am I to believe that I have to fight for something that I didn't want to be stuck with in the first place? What sick, sedistic bastard thought this was a good idea? Are we not going through enough? I barely have the motivation and zest for life to get out of bed. I sat there with a guy who had me pick out the features I wanted for my chair. Measured for ME, customized for ME!!! Are they mistaken? Because if they are right then this system is seriously flawed.

In my area, many Kaiser plans do not include any DME coverage, so your chair may indeed be a rental. What are you using for insurance now? Medi-Cal? Did you look into getting COBRA when you Kaiser ran out?

Call Kaiser. They will have the records of what they authorized for you. If you only got a rental, then your option would be to private pay for rental until you can find a resource for paying for a new chair.

(KLD)

yeah... what KLD said. If it's a rental, there should be a paper trail. Ask them to send you a copy of the contract.

When I left inpatient therapy I was told I was getting a loaner chair until my permanent chair arrived. The company called little over a month later wanting to know if they could come pick up the rental chair or if I needed to rent it how much longer did I need it. So, that's when I found out I was paying for the loaner.

Last month the company called again wanting to know if they could have their commode chair back. That's when I found out I was renting it rather than having purchased it (I remember thinking it was a really good price $68). I just laughed and told them I still needed it and wanted to buy it. They told me that after 6 months of rental it would become my property.

Having help to get the items we need is great at times but there seems to be more communication gaps. Good luck with your chair, I hope you can keep what you thought was yours!
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I left the hopital in a rental. Then the one that I custom ordered came about two months later. That is the one I have now. I have already given back the rental I left the hospital in. It just dosen't make sense that the one I have now does not "belong " to me. Yes, I did look into cobra coverage and it would have been over $600 dolars a month. Since I don't ever go to the hospital, that seemed steep.

Show's you how much of a bastard I am, I left with a rental, and then forbid it in the house, left it out in the rain until they picked it up, Rairly if ever got into one since, PIGHEADED!!!!!!! and Proud........

Quote Originally Posted by Crybaby2025
    I left the hopital in a rental. Then the one that I custom ordered came about two months later. That is the one I have now. I have already given back the rental I left the hospital in. It just dosen't make sense that the one I have now does not "belong " to me. Yes, I did look into cobra coverage and it would have been over $600 dolars a month. Since I don't ever go to the hospital, that seemed steep.
    Sounds like someone has been collecting rental fees on the chair you left the hospital in all this time. It may not be true but it does happen by some agencies. I would find out which model of chair they have been "renting" you. I dont think they would custom order a chair and let you rent it...makes no sense. But insurance companies do anything for an extra dollar.

I hope all works out for you...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

seems communication gaps are the norm for us disabled. when i was trying to get a power chair back in 2002, they took my measurements and sent in the order. i kept waiting an waiting to hear back from them. finally after about 3 months i had to call my DME. they said..."oh sorry we haven't got back in touch. the insurance said you just got a power chair in some month back in 2000."

i was like...WTH. i had my accident may of 2001, i was walking around not knowing anything about sci or power chairs in the year 2000. i did get the chair some months later but i just could hardly believe their mistake.