Thread: Motorized or manuel Wheelchair?

Question Motorized or manuel Wheelchair?

I have a C6/C7 injury. I was in Rehab for 1 year, getting 3-3 1/2 hrs. of therapy a day. I've been out for 4 months and now receive 3 - 4 hrs. a week. My therapists have different opinions about what kind of chair I should have. My former therapist thinks I should have a manual chair. My new therapist thinks I should have a motorized wheelchair so I can become independent quicker. My fear is that if I get a motorized one, I will lose my upper body strength and will not be able to transfer myself. But I'm not independent at all in my manual chair. I'm not sure what to do. What do other women quads at C6 C7 have?

Depends on what you are doing (driving a car or van returning to work or school)and where you live (curb cuts etc.). I'm a c6 and used a manual for 15 years until I changed jobs and traveled where they had no sidewalks and rough terraiin. I got a powerchair and even though I "felt" more disabled at first. I like zipping out of the cold rain faster!

Don't let therapists dictate your chair demo anything and everything. you may want a maual with push assist wheels like the e-motions
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Wheelchair Rider
    I have a C6/C7 injury. I was in Rehab for 1 year, getting 3-3 1/2 hrs. of therapy a day. I've been out for 4 months and now receive 3 - 4 hrs. a week. My therapists have different opinions about what kind of chair I should have. My former therapist thinks I should have a manual chair. My new therapist thinks I should have a motorized wheelchair so I can become independent quicker. My fear is that if I get a motorized one, I will lose my upper body strength and will not be able to transfer myself. But I'm not independent at all in my manual chair. I'm not sure what to do. What do other women quads at C6 C7 have?
    how bout a power assist chair like E-Motion for instance

Quote Originally Posted by Rod the Quad
    how bout a power assist chair like E-Motion for instance
    I'm C5/6 - barely any triceps - I wouldn't be independent in a normal manual but I am with my e-motions.

See if you can trial some
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I'm C5/6 - barely any triceps - I wouldn't be independent in a normal manual but I am with my e-motions.

See if you can trial some
    go to www.livewellmedical.com they have some nice power assist chairs. I mentioned the E-Motion power chair because that is the chair I have and it has been a blessing, I am a c5/6 also with weak triceps, well just something to think about.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I'm T4 and have BOTH. If you want to DO anything, carry something/often, cllean house, move big objects, do things outside on rough terrain, you have to have a powerchair. Use the manual for everything you can without dropping and breaking things, etc.
    I didn't get a powerchair until over 3 years AFTER my injury, thinking 'You'll be weak and loose your ability to transfer'... like those who DON't know tried to teach you.

I didn't get CRAP done for 3 years and now I can do just about what I want(within sci limitations). Take your time and make informed descions about the chairs you DO buy. TRY THEM OUT where you would use them for a few days IF AT ALL possible.

I am a c5-6 and I, like you, was under the advice of therapists and drs and got a power chair right out of rehab. I was in it for 10 years and became very weak and dependent on it. When my second chair left me high and dry I swore Id never get back in one...its been 5 years and Ive never felt better. I get exercise constantly and i have learned to do everything that I used to do in my power chair. For me it was also a question of money. The manual chair costs less to maintain.
    C5-6 - 22 years

i'm C-6/7, and faced with the same choice i took the manual chair hands down. i wouldn't have it any other way. it keeps your strength up and is so much easier when either driving OR riding with someone else that that alone is worth it. you'll never be sorry you did and you will find out quickly the many ways that it is better. you should push yourself now.

Manual plus either a power chair or a manual with power assist wheels. Power chairs are notorious for breaking down, so you really need a manual back-up anyway. Unless you have an adapted van, you will also have problems transporting a power chair in a regular car or when traveling. A manual chair may work better in those circumstances (or when your buddies want to carry you up to that second floor party or bar!).

A power chair makes more sense if you have lots of hills or very long distances, or a lot of rough terrain that you have to deal with, and in the long run, may save your shoulders.

If you get a power chair, plan on using a manual chair on a regular basis for exercise, and also participate in some other type of upper extremity and cardio exercise such as use of an arm ergometer or a glider standing frame, or a sport such as quad rugby, hand cycling or swimming.

(KLD)