Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flexing my abs via other methods

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212
    I hate to buzz kill your enthusiasm, but Ab nirvana is simiply not in the cards for those of us completes with SCI Buddha bellies.
    LMAO .. you have such a way with words .. I love it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I suspect Harish is a spammer troll.

(KLD)

Well I've only consistantly hit the gym for about 2 months. Feels great to hit it again but i made this video of the movement and how tight my abs were after the movement.

They usually stayed flexed for a few minutes. Then on and off tight for the next 45 minutes.

http://home.comcast.net/~tonsofdata/absflexing.wmv

Right click save as then pick desktop as location then double click.

Quote Originally Posted by Varian
    Well I've only consistantly hit the gym for about 2 months. Feels great to hit it again but i made this video of the movement and how tight my abs were after the movement.

They usually stayed flexed for a few minutes. Then on and off tight for the next 45 minutes.

http://home.comcast.net/~tonsofdata/absflexing.wmv

Right click save as then pick desktop as location then double click.

Very impressive, Varian. I've never seen that kind of 6-pack (or any 6-pack) on a mid-to-high T-complete injury before. Are you attributing it all to this one particular pull-over routine?

Do you have any "before" photos for comparison? If not, how much of a parabelly (if any) did you have before starting this recent(?) weightlifting regimen? In the first few years following my injury -- I'm 23 years post -- I didn't have a parabelly, or at least not much of one. It tends to come on gradually.

Since vocabulary/terminlogy matters, technically speaking your abs are not "flexing" -- rather, they are contracting. Flexion (and extension) are kinesthetic terms that describe movement. For example, doing sit-ups requires flexion of the abs, merely tightening them does not. Is it safe to assume that you can't do a sit-up, even a baby one?
    Last edited by stephen212; 03-10-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Yes you mean before injury pictures? Yeah i have a few I was pretty athletic back then. However my abs do not look like they did in the video like as i sit here behind the keyboard. They only look like that after doing those dumbell pullovers. They stay contracted hard for about 5 minutes or so. Then wither away.

For instance during the same week i took a picture with a friend and here is what I look like cold without doing the ab flexing movement. As you can see you can barely make out the abs normally.

This picture is goofy and for fun with a friend.
    http://home.comcast.net/~tonsofdata/musclepix.jpg

But I've only been working out for 2 months after 2 years of spinal cord injury without working out. So hopefully they will look a bit better in time.

Unbelievable, Varian. I'm impressed. I've never seen a six-pack on a para like that before. Even in the second shot, there is still definition. That's incredible.

Varian,
    Great abs! Its amazing that you have that much definition still when your abs contract after 2yrs post. You are obviously very lean too. Other than weight training do you have a cardio routine also, that keeps you so lean? I am a T2 complete, 9 months post. I got back in the gym 3 months after injury and I love it. Hard to find a good cardio routine to get my heartrate up though, just curious if you get yours up. I have found that my abs contract or spasm doing bench press also. But they dont stay like that for five minutes.

Honeslty i do little to no cardio at all. My only cardio would be weight lifting. My front shoulder joints don't really dig all this wheelchair rolling all over the place lifestyle. So i rarely roll long distances either.
    As you all knwo 80% of working out is in nutrition. I am just lucky to have a blazingly fast motabolism. Hell if i eat more i can't get fat i just get more energy. If i eat less i don't get skinnier i just lose energy. My body demands i stay at 6.8% bodyfat. WEird.

Quote Originally Posted by Varian
    . . . I am just lucky to have a blazingly fast motabolism. Hell if i eat more i can't get fat i just get more energy. If i eat less i don't get skinnier i just lose energy. . .
    I used to have the exact same "problem." I had to stuff myself just to maintain weight. But like my child asthma, I seem to have outgrown it.