Paralysis can't stop his dreams
Muir High to honor inspirational graduate
By Cortney Fielding Staff Writer
Article Launched: 01/07/2007 11:06:45 PM PST

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } ALTADENA - Victor Wright says he's thought about his final moments on the football field every day for the past 30 years.
It was the second game of the junior varsity season, and John Muir High School was trailing visiting St. Francis with 4 1/2 minutes left until halftime.
Muir's quarterback threw a 50-yard pass on third down, and Wright watched as a St. Francis defender plucked the ball from the air for an interception.
A 15-year-old running back who also played linebacker, Wright said he didn't think twice before going for a tackle he had made many times before.
"I tried to hit the guy squarely," he said. "But I knew when I made impact with him. I felt the contact on the left side of my helmet. It felt like a lightning bolt hit me."
Wright never got up again.
"When I got injured, I was young and healthy and strong, ambitious. I had dreams and goals," he says of life before the accident. "Just one split second changed everything."
The 45-year-old Altadenan has lived as a quadriplegic for the past 30 years, paralyzed from the neck down and unable to breathe without the aid of a respirator.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_4969755