Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Mutilation of daughter as disability treatment

Just because you disagree doesn't give you the right to try and dictate what parents of a severely disabled child do with the medical advice of doctors, an ethics committee and a well-established hospital.

I don't need you, Susan, to decide which dis "causes" I'll take on.

My cause is for a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by PDnemesis
    There are very strict rules about using experimental medical procedures on children. The rules were not adhered to. The doctors circumvented established protocol that would have required permissions from a federal body that exists to decide whether such experimental procedures have enough merit to proceed.
    You are flat out wrong about this. All of the procedures and medications they used are approved and marketed. There is ZERO requirement from anyone, any body, governmental or otherwise, that requires any type of oversight or permission to proceed. There are no rules to adhere to in this situation, only clinical judgment and parental consent. Using a combination of approved procedures and therpies is NOT considered experimental from a regulatory viewpoint. You may want to argue that there should be, but that is a rapidly slippery slope. However, I can say that you are completely wrong on this point.

I also agree that they made a decision in the best interest of their child, and that I cannot say what I would have done in a similar situation. But my guess? That I would have done the same.

I do not know about you...but if they already had me open....I would want them to take out my appendix too...I would not have to worry about it rupturing.

Taking out the uterus will not only prevent her from getting pregnant...but wouldn't that also prevent her from getting uterine cancer?

She is taking hormones to stunt her growth...how is that different than those that use growth hormone? At one time that too was controverial...

The "expert" the parents relied on in the children cage case is also up on charges...one person...not a medical staff...or hospital...don't you think that all of the pros and cons were talked about and thought through???
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Parents have the right to make decisions for their minor children. These parents obviously love their daughter enough to make these tough choices on her behalf.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    "Parents don't own children"

So... could you possibly mean that children are independent?
    That is an excessive and irrational leap. Stating the fact that children are not property is not in any way implying that children are therefore indepedent from birth. BUT the point of being a parent is to raise your children into independence. It is a process that takes time.

Now, obviously in Ashley's case, she is never going to be independent, but the general principle is a sound one. Children are not property that parents are free to do with as they will. There are laws and ethics governing certain practices and it is not out of line for someone to point these things out.

The assumption here is that these parents love their child. It has been pointed out that good intentions do NOT necessarily provide good results. All loving parents make mistakes. These people are not perfect.

It's also not out of line to bring up the idea of abuse. Some people have said that if these people didn't really love their daughter and have her best interests at heart, then they would have just thrown her in an institution. Not necessarily. Lots of people keep and abuse their kids. Happens every day. Why they do it, I don't know. But I don't assume that anyone who doesn't toss their kid out must love that child and must be doing the right thing.

FTR, I haven't formed an opinion about this situation. I'm just pointing out some issues I've seen in some of the arguments presented.

C.

I am in shock. What I don't understand is how one would need to make such drastic decisions with removal of uterus (And breast buds?) for fear of rape with their child who needs 24/7 supervision, which they want her kept small enough to do so themselves... so is deciding to do this connected to stunt hormone treatment and possible medical issues with the maturity of breasts forming/ovulation---GAWD I don't understand and now after writing this as best I can, I am not sure I want to. It comes down to how much is too much for me I guess. sigh.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

I've read about this. Put the parents in jail and put kiddo another place, this is unheard of.

The removal of the breast buds was done to prevent her from growing large breasts, of which there is a strong family history. The main reasons cited were for comfort - laying and also with her chest straps. I believe the worry about rape was a side note, although her parents have surely considered that someday someone other than themselves will be taking care of her, most likely. If she is not going to bear children or be a sexually active adult, I see no harm in removing the breast buds. I also see no problem with removing the uterus. Again, that was done mostly for a comfort issue. Ashley does not need to deal with menstrual cramps and periods and will certainly never willingly bear a child. She can't even lift her own head off the pillow, I say make the child as comfortable as possible in the long term and let her family care for her in peace.

I say; parent's or system is wrong. Still, parent's should go to jail, doc's involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    That is an excessive and irrational leap. Stating the fact that children are not property is not in any way implying that children are therefore indepedent from birth. BUT the point of being a parent is to raise your children into independence. It is a process that takes time.

Now, obviously in Ashley's case, she is never going to be independent, but the general principle is a sound one. Children are not property that parents are free to do with as they will. There are laws and ethics governing certain practices and it is not out of line for someone to point these things out.

The assumption here is that these parents love their child. It has been pointed out that good intentions do NOT necessarily provide good results. All loving parents make mistakes. These people are not perfect.

It's also not out of line to bring up the idea of abuse. Some people have said that if these people didn't really love their daughter and have her best interests at heart, then they would have just thrown her in an institution. Not necessarily. Lots of people keep and abuse their kids. Happens every day. Why they do it, I don't know. But I don't assume that anyone who doesn't toss their kid out must love that child and must be doing the right thing.

FTR, I haven't formed an opinion about this situation. I'm just pointing out some issues I've seen in some of the arguments presented.

C.
    ITA.

*runs out of thread*