Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Mutilation of daughter as disability treatment

I gave my 9 year old daughter a brief description of what has been done to Ashley. Her response was, "And why is that a bad thing?" I said, "Well, would it be okay if the same thing were done to you?"

To me, that pretty much sums it all up. Of course it wouldn't be okay to do those things to my non-disabled daughter. If I did allow it to be done, society would condemn me. Yet society thinks it's okay to do that to a child because she is disabled? WTH? Why is that okay? Why is it okay that disabled people don't have the same rights as ABs?

I wrote a long response yesterday which I'll post later but for clarification, I wasn't including PD, Chick, Scorp, Leif or Rehab in the comment about those most opposed to this treatment. Cspanos, I completely agree. Shannon, I was objectified and abused my the medical establishment as well as a C/6/7/8 eight year old quad. I know how it feels to have things done to you against your will, to cry and scream and protest the only way you know how and still be ignored. To have pediatric neurologists and orthopedists make degrading and dehumanizing comments about your body and disability and convince your parents to go along with medications and treatments that are completely unnecessary. Only a few us here understand the depth of those experiences and the resulting trauma which is why only a few of us responded with horror at the Ashley Treatment. If this proposed "standard of treatment" is adopted, which is their goal, it could be applied to every little girl with cerebral palsy, spina bifida, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy and spinal cord injury. This is why it is our problem and why the disability rights community is outraged.

I'll post the rest of my thoughts later.

Nothing that PD said is anti-cure. The majority of what I was subjected to as a disabled child was not designed to attenuate my paralysis. Taking the establishment to task for ignoring the basic rights of a disabled child is not anti-cure.

Shannon, you are right.

IT IS NOT OK TO BUTCHER A DISABLED CHILD SIMPLY BECAUSE SHE IS DISABLED!
    Last edited by antiquity; 01-16-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads32
    Quit hanging on my every word Rhino, you are like a shadow.

I am sorry to break it to you but wheelchairs and disabilities will never be accepted. I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying its true, lie to yourself all you like. As for my sister she is an independent young thing who could care less about the dick in the street yet just wants to get back to how she was. I'll send her your best.
    I know. It's because you fucking annoy me. You have all this energy and you care for the right reasons but you talk such evangelical shite and you make patronising statements to disabled people who live with their paralysis everyday.

I respect the opinion of any AB person who posts here but - just like I can't understand the woes of a caregiver or parent like they can - someone AB can never truly understand the perspective of a paralysed person so I object to you telling me I am kidding myself about anything.

Debate with me intelligently by all means but be consistent..........you are always banging on about believing in a cure yet you seem to accept the modification of a little girl whose 'potential' is unrealised and unproven.

Consider this hypothetical situation:

Your sister suffered a TBI when she had her SCI. As well as her half-broken body she has a broken mind - to all intents and purposes she is a 'Pillow Angel' just like Ashley, unable to speak up and wholly at the kindness and mercy of others. Your parents want to modify her to make care easier. Because of the precedent set by 'The Ashley Treatment,' they can do this. You know that some of the modifications are irreversible and will leave her unable to be fully cured should such salvation arise.

What do you do?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

More on precedence

Uhhm why is this a relevant comparison? The parents did this for medical reasoning or what they were advised to be medical reasoning. An 'AB kid' does not fall into this category.
    Well I’m not to sure about this and please remember here - extreme sport surgeries on innocent kids like this quickly can set precedence for similar cases, not local only but as a global pandemic... There are examples on this. Just keep in mind what happened to overweighed kids, nothing at all happened in fact until someone suddenly started to chop of parts of their stomachs etc., this also suddenly became a good solution and this procedure is now accepted and not uncommon in North America and some other places. Is this also right? Of course not. This is also an example of low standards. Here it also boils down to lazy parents; they should have looked better after their kids and not have given them so much sugar, candy, soft drinks and easy to get crappy junk food when they raised them (and please don’t say the parents didn’t know). - The moral here is that it has not always only to do with the single individuals, meaning it is not up to the parents here alone to decide, especially not if bad decisions are made, cause if this is accepted the chopping off ballet will explode around the globe like a new medical fashion which more lazy parents will jump onto. - So you still think AB kids (although overweighed) do not fall into easy way out chopping of surgery procedures? You think lazy parents looking for the easy way out are always right?
    Last edited by Leif; 01-16-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Rhino,

I have not once condoned this, it infact made me feel sick. I jumped in here because Nemesis was posting about disability being socially problematic, not physically and I find that to be BULLSHIT. And Antiquity, THAT is what I find to be anti-cure. I also jumped in because it is a parents right to act in a childs best interests. Is this true here? I'm not to say but im sure they didnt deal with it lightly.

Leif lets not forget that the media probably wanted to play the 'lazy parent' card for shock value

Rhino,

I have not once condoned this, it infact made me feel sick. I jumped in here because Nemesis was posting about disability being socially problematic, not physically and I find that to be BULLSHIT. And Antiquity, THAT is what I find to be anti-cure. I also jumped in because it is a parents right to act in a childs best interests. Is this true here? I'm not to say but im sure they didnt deal with it lightly.
    I'm sure they didn't either. Neither do I think they are monsters, just misguided.

You didn't answer my question.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Rhino,

What they did wasn't in Ashleys best interest. It was in theirs.

A child's inability to challenge authority, doesn't by fault, make the authority right.

Leif lets not forget that the media probably wanted to play the 'lazy parent' card for shock value
    Maybe. The issues here are still valid though.

That situation is polls apart but to answer your question, I would protest vehemently. As for not living with paralysis, seeing the toll on my sis and folks is enough. And I'm patronising no-one about the acceptance thing, if you honestly think differently here then I think youre in a minority even in the disability world