Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanting to start standing, but apprehensive.

I agree with TR, get a dexascan after 11 years just to be safe. I got one after just a few years of not standing much. Better safe than sorry.

TR, how do you know you have contractures? I worry about my feet, knees, and hips. Stretch daily but it still seems hard to do like they're resistent. I was told it isn't footdrop or anything in legs just my high spasticity. Besides regulary stretching, I now lie on my stomach for a few hours each day and will do pushups or arch back and look towards ceiling in between. It has loosened up my hips quite a bit in a short amount of time.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I've had many patients who wanted to stand years after their injury. Sometimes as much as 15 to 20 years post. There are a lot of things to consider if you haven't stood regularly. Number one, like most everyone mentioned, is bone density. If you have spasticity, that can help to maintain bone density. Get a scan done before you do anything. Fractures often go for months or years before they can heal, if at all, in people who have had a chronic spinal injury. Range of motion is also critical, as also mentioned by other members. Hips, knees, and ankles. Remember, you still have ligaments that can tear if you're not careful. The injury can go unnoticed due to lack of sensation, and if your injury is high enough you can get dysreflexia. Talk to a physiatrist if you can, get the bone scan done, and have a therapist who specializes in spinal injury check you out. Take care and good luck.

Go slow

The good thing about the EasyStand that you have is that you do not have to go to full standing right away, you can stop anytime between sitting & standing if you feel dizzy. You can build up to full standing slowly. I would consult your therapist or doctor before using it too.