Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rally 2007

i don't think that nashville has a lot of handicapped van for rent or taxi's that provide this service...

When you get a date for the rally, let us know. Unless I have finals or an exam I can't reskedge, I'm there.

I'm already missing two days of classes to hit South Florida for a week later this month. Was a gift from Santa/Hannukah Harry. How could I say no?

Should be kewl with my professors until I return with a tan.

Quote Originally Posted by bjschild32
    i don't think that nashville has a lot of handicapped van for rent or taxi's that provide this service...
    I lived in Nashville for a couple of years. The metro buses can get you just about anywhere you want to go. They're lift equipped, right on time. However, some of the people riding some of those routes were kinda creeptastic at times.

I got over it because I could go anywhere I wanted independently with a little (sometimes a lot) of route planning.

why not Oklahoma?

We have reason to believe that the person who stopped CRPA from getting a vote in the senate last summer was from Oklahoma.

We could all go hang out at Betheny's house, and then go stage a rally outside that senator's offices . . .

We could make a big, loud red-state noise! Lobbying for things like CRPA are seen as--sadly--kinda liberal. (Notice the big names who showed up at our rally in DC last spring: Harkin, Clinton, Kerry, Sarandon . . . ) But paralysis does not respect pary affiliation, last time I looked.

Why not Oklahoma? How often do people with political causes bother with

[quote=kate]Lobbying for things like CRPA are seen as--sadly--kinda liberal. (Notice the big names who showed up at our rally in DC last spring: Harkin, Clinton, Kerry, Sarandon . . . ) But paralysis does not respect pary affiliation, last time I looked./quote]

No, but again sadly, empathy, compassion and logic sometimes seem to elude our Republican friends.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

[QUOTE=Foolish Old]
    Quote Originally Posted by kate
    Lobbying for things like CRPA are seen as--sadly--kinda liberal. (Notice the big names who showed up at our rally in DC last spring: Harkin, Clinton, Kerry, Sarandon . . . ) But paralysis does not respect pary affiliation, last time I looked./quote]

No, but again sadly, empathy, compassion and logic sometimes seem to elude our Republican friends.
    I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair and will only result in alienating Republicans.
    Last edited by Susan M; 01-10-2007 at 11:22 AM.

[quote=Susan M]
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old

I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair.
    I believe it is a fair statement in regards to those Republican legislators who insist that surplus ESCs should be medical waste instead of being used to advance medicine. I also believe it is a fair statement in regard to the Republican president who used his first and only veto to hinder research aimed at alleviating suffering. I applaud those in both parties who courageously voted to advance ESCR.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M

I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair and will only result in alienating Republicans.
    I know lots of them, too--many from these very forums. The world is a better place with them in it, and the last thing I'd want to do is alienate my own friends. They've also worked very hard to make the cure happen--as I said, paralysis doesn't care about your politics.

Why weren't more Republican stars asked to speak at the rally, do you know?

I remember Republicans being invited but everybody was busy campaigning. CRF tried to get them there. My husband and CLC invited the Senators from Oklahoma but no go. Sue, did you invite your guys? I think Steven invited Lindsey Graham.

I agree that there's no sense alienating Republicans on what should be a non-partisan bill with bi-partisan support. The first year we had some compassionate Republicans show up to speak. I think last year they knew they were in for a rough election cycle and didn't bother if it wasn't a campaign related event.

I really thought they missed an opportunity to look compassionate there. We're a golden photo op. They also left the door wide open for the Democrats to do some completely inappropriate politicking LOL. Our stage wasn't the place for it-but with nary an elected Republican in sight, why not?

Sometimes I wonder how it would have played out if Coburn or even Bush had attended. Would Clinton and Kerry have taken the swipes they did? If so what would the result have been? Clinton and Kerry can change a speech to fit the occasion, no doubt, I think they just seized the opportunity they saw sitting there.

Kate, I've never been able to figure out how to accomplish anything in OK. Coburn returns to his medical practice during recesses, he doesn't make appointments with constituents or hold town meetings grrrrrr. He's fought for the right to do that, so far he's gotten away with it. Short of picketing his house or medical office I don't know how you can make an impact on that guy.

Thank you, Kate. I really appreciate you saying that.

Honestly, I think what happened last year was that Dana Reeves good friends just really wanted to be there in her honor. These include Ms. Sarandon, Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Kerry. Sen. Harkin was the CRPA senate sponsor. There really wasn't room for many more. In 2005 there were Republican politicos there, but, for the life of me, I can't recall who off the top of my head. We need to also remember that one of our strongest supporters was House bill sponsor, Republican Michael Bilirakis.

Beth--I did not invite my guys as they weren't on any of the key committees influencing bill passage. On my visit to my Reps. office (Congressman John Kline), though, they had been watching the rally coverage on C-span. I commented that they should have attended and perhaps Rep. Kline could have said a few words. They said he certainly would have considered it. What's that about hindsight being 20/20?
    Last edited by Susan M; 01-10-2007 at 11:51 AM.