Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Care Cure community involvement in Manual Chair Research

Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty excited about the opportunity.

the funding I have doesn't support actual testing. It is a PVA education foundation grant. Basically, a whole bunch of facilities who use the SmartWheel have agreed to contribute their data to a central location so we can learn more. The data that gets collected in a certain manner is allowed into the database. Together we can increase the numbers in the database, thus improving our ability to really describe propulsion for the entire population.

When you see different results in different studies it may just be because they studied a slightly different population or their technique was different. This database should become large enough to overcome this type of limitation. that is a part of why this is exciting.

This grant pays for the development of a professional database structure so its easy to get the data in & easy to get the data out. it also pays gor the development of materials for use by clinicians and end users (us) to evaluate themselves. We'll also include information on how to change how you push, what changes in your chair would help, and hopefully locations where you could get more help.

Right now, the best help you could offer me is to keep adding ideas to this thread. What is it you want to know about how you push and how would it help you? Your answers will help guide the content development of the end user page.

Wanting to know just because you are curious is ok! As a researcher, I have to justify to my funding sources why what I want to do is important. So answers that get to that stage will help me help you, help us!

Ok, so it seems people are interested in asymmetry. What is it about assymetry that is important? Is it just pure curiosity or do you think that your assymetry affects your life in a particular manner?

You see, I am one of those young investigators in the NIH pipeline that Dr. Young speaks about with regards to funding. No, I'm not on the cure end of the spectrum. I'm definately about improving the here and now until there is no one left to help. I take my role as a researcher seriously & always want my research to have an immediate use by end users. I try to design my research plans with that as the driving goal. And if ya'll will let me know what is important to you, I'll do what I can to push those ideas in the research community.

Because after a long day in the lab I am still very much in touch with the realities of this life, our lives. When I go home I am still a quad. My work helps to make my life easier, which is why I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty
    Ok, so it seems people are interested in asymmetry. What is it about assymetry that is important? Is it just pure curiosity or do you think that your assymetry affects your life in a particular manner?
    Here in the south where I live, sidewalks are sloped a little bit away from the store to help in rain drainoff. I'm sure this is fairly universal, but I don't have much experience with sidewalks elsewhere. It's not the case in some parts of Texas anyway.

Anyway, so since one side is weaker than the other and the sidewalk is sloped more than usual, I wind up running off the sidewalk! Or at least putting so much effort into going straight that by the time I get where I'm going which ever arm is roadward is often OMG SORE and/or numb and/or totally tired where the other one hasn't even been used!

So, yeah. That's my interest. Dunno about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette
    Here in the south where I live, sidewalks are sloped a little bit away from the store to help in rain drainoff. I'm sure this is fairly universal, but I don't have much experience with sidewalks elsewhere. It's not the case in some parts of Texas anyway.

Anyway, so since one side is weaker than the other and the sidewalk is sloped more than usual, I wind up running off the sidewalk! Or at least putting so much effort into going straight that by the time I get where I'm going which ever arm is roadward is often OMG SORE and/or numb and/or totally tired where the other one hasn't even been used!

So, yeah. That's my interest. Dunno about the rest.
    When you return, the other side is equally used, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    When you return, the other side is equally used, isn't it?
    Depends. I don't always return because sometimes we start at one end of our "strip like" mall and then hubby or mom or whoever drives down to the next store or past and I go down and we get in the car down there. Sometimes I go back. Just depends on what's up. There's no place close enough for me to just push there from home, it always involves driving.

Of course, if I'm driving, I'm in my SUV, and I just toss the chair in the back instead of pushing down and all the way back too. The big reason we move the car when shopping is I'm usually with my mom and she's got a little car that means the chair needs to be dissassembled and put in and it's just a lot easeir for me to push down the road.

cross slopes are no fun at all. I agree. It is definately a good next area for research.

thanks!

Sporty,

What became of this database project?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Sporty,

What became of this database project?
    It got published and helped provide some normative data which can provide context to the numbers collected when somebody is assessed on a SmartWheel.

I believe these are some of the articles that came out of this study:
    Cowan RE, Nash M, Collinger J, Koontz A, & Boninger M (2009). Impact of Surface Type, Wheelchair Weight, and Axle Position on Wheelchair Propulsion by Novice Older Adults. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 90: 1076-1083.

Cowan, RE, Boninger ML, Sawatzky BJ, Mazoyer BD, & Cooper RA (2008). Preliminary Outcomes of the SmartWheel Users' Group Database: A proposed framework for clinicians to objectively evaluate manual wheelchair propulsion. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 89: 260-268.
    (KLD)

Regarding:

This grant pays for the development of a professional database structure so its easy to get the data in & easy to get the data out.
    Is the complete electronic database (not just paper files) readily accessible by folks like us (e.g., via a website, a library computer system, etc.), or is public "read-only" access to the database forbidden?