Thread: We know how many LIVE with SCI but

We know how many LIVE with SCI but

do we know how many people die each year from SCI and other conditions that stem cells could potentially save?

It's probably not a new idea but do we provide the gatekeepers with both figures?

Just a thought.

J.
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 01-06-2007 at 02:09 PM.
    And the truth shall set you free.

The only stat I have is that 30 people are SCI'ed each day. They represent the 40% of SCIs that survive the first 24 hours of injury. That means that 60% or 50 people more did not survive the first 24 hours of injury. I cannot find the attribution at this moment. I'll dig for that if you want it.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Joe;

Here is some info on Life Expectancy and other depressing statistics about SCI. This info is current as of 2006.

As to how many die each year, well, I doubt if you can extrapolate that from any existing database. On the bright side, SCI individuals are living longer and fuller lives in First World countries. The stats in Third World countries, though not available here, are likely to be dismal.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang