Thread: Don't know what to do,info plz

Don't know what to do,info plz

I will keep this as short as I can,so expect some holes in the story. My wife who is now 32 was daiged with spondy at 13 at with the forceful fist of the doc she had a 3 vert fusion. It went very very wrong.They trapped a nerve in the fusion and had to " try " and repair. It didn't work. The damage was done.She has at this point lost her youth.She went on with life and learned to live with the pain and live as normal as possible. She actually landed a job but unfortunatley she had a slip and fall at work and was brushed off by the job and the compensation board.Once again she adapted and life went on.All was well, as well as well gets for her, for a few years and I'll be damned if it didn't happen again.This time it was a doucumented saftey issue that had been raised months before the fall.This time it's not so good.The doctor underestimated what damage had been done and only just a few weeks ago called for a mri.I try to go to as many doc apps as I can when it is for her back so I can try to understand,I did not go to these ones because of the work issue.Now we have the mri report and I have no idea what it means.This women just wants to some form of a "normal" life,whatever that is, and is getting nowhere.She is overwhieght and is told time and again that she needs to work on that but NOBODY has once told her how to do this with the spondy that she has plus all else.I even got into an arguement with .a small one,a doc once but we just went in circles,lose the wieght,how,exercise,how, got it? Not that she wants to but disability says that she cannot be fully compensated because of my income.That's fair.Nice.So the job she could have, she can't,she can't get paid,so she is born with a disease and it's her fault so suck it up.Anyways.MRI report says" There is a displaced fracture throught the mid sacrum which has possibly not healed through the postierior elements.This would be better evaluated on CT.There is a degenerative disc disease at L5-S1 with a diffuse postierior disc bulge.This produces mild to moderate foraminal stenosis on the right.There may be bilateral lytic pars defects at L5 but without significant malaignment of L5-S1.The remainder of the lumbar and lower thoracic levels appear normal.There is no evidence of a low thoracic fracture"Not only do I not understand this,I have no idea where to go with this.For the first time in my life and for the first time in the life with my wife I have no answers for her.We live in Ontario,Canada and I don't if that makes any important statement but I would love if we could get some tools to help us out here.Any direction would be good.Thank You in advance.

Hopefully someone more medically knowledgeable chimes in here.

What are her symptoms? Can she walk?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yes she can still walk but life is not being lived at it's fullest.She still tries to do most everything she can,I have no idea how she does it.We have 3 kids,2 in thier teens,and she still goes out and about everyday.Her pain tolerence is through the roof.I take more pain meds than she does.My worst fear is that her mental state will shut down before her body does.I really have no idea what to do,where to turn or what to tell her.For the past 5 years it has been a stale mate.Every doc or spec doc just keeps saying the same thing over and over.Now she has a spill at work and it is still the same,go under the knife.For what?More crazy glue tactics.Work wont help her,the gov wont help her and I can't help her.I am at my wits end here.This women is born with a degenerative spine disease and the world says" oh well,sucks to be you".Born with it.No choice.I ,we I really should be saying, need some advice here.

I would encourage you to see if you can get a second opinion from another neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal surgery. Your best bet is to look for someone affiliated with a large teaching hospital. You may need to travel to find the right person. Perhaps some of our other Canadian members can make a suggestion. I know that McGill University has a good reputation.

(KLD)