Thread: Paraplegic Hazleton woman gaining feeling in legs after experimental stem cell treatm

Paraplegic Hazleton woman gaining feeling in legs after experimental stem cell treatm

Paraplegic Hazleton woman gaining feeling in legs after experimental stem cell treatment in Far East

Wednesday, 03 January 2007
    By KENT JACKSON
    kent.jackson@standardspeaker.com This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it
    When Carmen Paulino returned to Hazleton after receiving experimental stem cell therapy in China, she noticed sensation in her legs, which had been paralyzed two years before in an auto accident.

"I was drinking a soda," recalled Paulino, who put the soda on her lap. "I felt it turning cold in my left leg."
    Her left toe constantly feels like it’s burning now, too.

Before receiving treatment in China, Paulino could stand while wearing braces on her legs.
    Now Paulino can walk from her bedroom to the bathroom while wearing the braces and holding a walker.
    "It’s slow, but I did it, Paulino said.
    Paulino paid $20,000 to go to China, where Dr. Hongyun Huang injected stem cells into her spinal cord.

Huang, who trained in the United States, has been treating patients for paralysis and Lou Gehrig’s disease since 2001. He claims 70 percent of the patients have shown some improvement through the treatment, unsanctioned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
    An ethical debate limited the funds that Congress allocated for research using stem cells, which come from human embryos, so states and other countries, including China, started research programs.

"This country has a lot of money. China is not a rich country. Why don’t they want to do it here?" Paulino asked.
    In an article in September 2006, the New England Journal of Medicine said the $38 million that China spent on stem cell research is one-tenth the $380 million allocated by New Jersey. California set aside $3 billion, Connecticut $100 million, and the government of Great Britain $72.7 million.

Nevertheless, the Journal said while China’s worldwide role in the research appears marginal, the nation plans to increase its investment and might gain an edge in stem cell science for the same reason it has in various industries: "It is simply cheaper to produce goods in China than nearly any other country."
    Dr. Huang has greater freedom to test treatments in China, the Journal says, than he would in the United States, where he trained for three years.

He treated Paulino, 26, at Xishan Hospital.
    During her stay in the hospital from Nov. 19 to Dec. 21, 2006, Paulino and her 22-year-old sister, Madelyn, who traveled with her, shared a room with two beds and bought their own food.

more:
    http://www.standardspeaker.com/index...=3933&Itemid=2

cant access the standard speaker says im not a member but i would like to see the rest of the article .

Thumbs up The Huang's treatment

My son (C4-5 complete) received the Embryonic OEGs several years back from Huang. He now has some wrist and knuckle movement along with an A in Statistics. The Chinese cells must have gone straight to his brain! His parents never got As in Stat. He now wants to attend Law School in California and be a trial attorney for movie stars.

Cheers;

JJG
    Jake's Pop

are there any updates on this story?

My boyfriend lives in Hazleton. I have to see if I can get any information about her. Also the newspaper I know someone who works there.
    Be always determined in Life and Love

Dr. JJ,
    Has your son been receiving PT or estim on his his regularly since the OEG's? What other hand therapies, if any, did he receive before after?

This is terrific news!

Thumbs up My son

Yes he continues to go to therapy at CIMT in Atlanta. He gets estim, massage therapy, laser treatment, physical therapy, standing and sitting with hoysts, nutritional supplements, etc. He can use a computer, phone, TV remote, etc. with his own wirst and knuckle movements.

Cheers;

JJG
    Jake's Pop

Awesome!!!!!
    Even better that he Jake continues to workout after all this time! computer, phone TV - he has his world under control!

Tenodesis would be great, but is he able to use his hands otherwise?
    Thanks for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by defiantknight
    cant access the standard speaker says im not a member but i would like to see the rest of the article .
    I try to find the whole article again for you, sorry I don't know what happened. Before we were able to read the whole thing now after a few months we have to pay.

manouli.