Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SSI Medicaid will not cover me if I'm out of State?

Norm on Page 74 of the Florida Medicaid manual it states that they will reimburse non medicaid participating hospitals in an emergency.

http://www.fdhc.state.fl.us/Medicaid...nal_ver1.0.pdf

You wont be able to access routine care such as PCA or the like while traveling but if you have an emergency they would pay for your stay.

I hope this helps...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    It just doesn't in Florida. I was told Mdicare was for retirees only.
    ACTUALLY, I've known others on FL MediCAID who have traveled outside of FL and who have gotten emergency care...Also others who have gotten sevices NOT offered by FL physicians paid for by FL Medicaid out of state...The 2nd IS a battle, but possible when services/care are NOT avail in FL and necesary...

RE:Medicare for retirees only, that's a load of crap, whoever told you that wasn't doing their job properly...I've been on Medicare since May 1 of last year...2 1/2 yrs post injury...you should have been on Medicare for quite some time now...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I was hurt at age 16.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I was hurt at age 16.
    That is why you are not eligible for Medicare.

http://questions.medicare.gov/cgi-bi...i=&p_topview=1
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 01-07-2007 at 10:00 PM.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I need to talk to a free Medcaid SSI Lawyer. Because I have a possible other problem. I'm moving & I didn't notify SSI before my aunt put me on the deed to the other house now I'm on two homes.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

I need to talk to a free Medcaid SSI Lawyer. Because I have a possible other problem. I'm moving & I didn't notify SSI before my aunt put me on the deed to the other house now I'm on two homes.
    Norm you definately need to get that resolved...you might end up owing some money if you dont. SSI rules are very strict about income.

Good luck...sounds like your living situation is going to improve. Moving is such a hassle....

I used to know sci folks in California who were on both, Medicare and Medicaid (Medical).

But I think Daisy is right, Norm, in that your getting hurt while so young precludes you from Medicare because you didn't pay into SS with Medicare withholding from your wages...unless you had a part-time high school job or something before you were hurt, then you might have a chance.

Sorry man, medical insurance for sci is hard to attain, and keep. IMO, the MA law should be taken and tweaked and applied to every state...and I know for a fact that most if not all states are looking at ways to implement the MA medical insurance system to work in their states.

The MA program uses Medicare/Medicaid as part of the plan for those with lower income levels, and uses a myriad of ways to provide medical insurance for everybody in the state.

Good luck Norm.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I was always under the impression that someone injured young drew benefits from their parents as the parents paid into the system. I fell in under a crappy law when I first became eligible. My daughter wasnt able to draw benefits until I worked the 5 years that I did post SCI. It all depends on your states laws. I had just earned enough credits with my part time job in High school and college to get my Medicare but I got SSI for the first 6 or so years of my post injury life.

The whole system needs to be re evaluated....If you are injured as a teen and never get the chance to work and arent able to work after injury. You never really are able to dig out of poverty.

i am not sure of your expertise on medicare and medicaid but i have had both.
    i was injured at 17 i had worked enough quarters to recieve a almost 100 percent SSDI check. i had only worked long enough to get about 97 percent ssdi and a small ssi check therefore making me eligible for both medicare and medicaid.
    the medicare paid 80 percent and the medicaid paid the rest.
    plus i got 3 meds a month with the medicaid.
    you can only draw benefits under a parent if they are deceased.
    Norm thanks for the information about medicaid
    never had hear of it
    what i post i know from experience
    the laws maybe changed
    always get expert advice and be cautious of that

even if you are say 33 years old and a parent passes away
    you can opt to collect their ssdi check if it is more than yours.
    a close quad friend of mine had broke his neck at 17 and he was collecting ssi
    his dad died with cancer and he applied for to receive his dads benefits
    his check went to the max for ssdi eligibility.

thanks

I got by having my names on two deeds for a few months. But they nailed me for a months pay the few days I had over $2000 in my account. Due to the sale of my half of the one house. I had no choice but to put it in my account for a few days.