Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: septic olecranon bursitis

septic olecranon bursitis

happy new year to me.

i woke up on the 1st and my left elbow was kinda hurting since i lean on it all the time.

woke up on the 2nd and it was wayy swollen, red and hot. i got to wondering if maybe i injured it on new years eve while i was celebrating with my buddies vodka an red bull, haha. so i let it go and tried ice-heat hoping it would go down........NOPE.

the 3rd, i had 2 dr's appointments. after all the transferring and pushing around it got even more swollen and the redness was spreading. bad as i didn't want to i had to go to the ER and well..........yall know how ER is, right?????

5 hrs of waiting, wondering an hurting. which actually is good timing from last time i was there which was about a 7 hr excursion.

anyhow...my diagnosis was "septic olecranon bursitis". i got 2 BIG shots in each hip at the ER and some bactrim an augmentin for 7 days. he says if the antibiotics don't work he'll have to cut my elbow open an let it drain. is this the norm? looks like he could draw the fluid out with a needle or something. should i get a second opinion if it doesn't clear up with the antibiotics? i don't lke the sounds of surgery plus not being able to use my left arm while waiting on it to heal would be a drag.

Darn....what a way to welcome the new year!!

I hope the antibiotics work...sounds very painful. The septic makes it sound pretty serious.

Take care of yourself!!!! Arent ER's fun??
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

rolllin that suck.He should be able to drain it with a needle.My right elbow acts up likethat.Your sytems are worst,mine just swells and hurts.I'd get everry possible option.Hope you feel better buddy!
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

thanks yall. its gone down a lot today. i think ima live. it really did put a damper on my new year though.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    thanks yall. its gone down a lot today. i think ima live. it really did put a damper on my new year though.
    That's good to hear.Hopefully every one will have a pain free year.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Are you going to look into an elbow pad or something to protect it?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    I TOLD ya to quit diggin' ol busted crayons outta septic tanks

Smile

Rollin, I just went through the same thing. I must have buggered it during skiing. Anyway, the Dr. drained it and tested it and it came up with staff! So, after an IV and a couple kinds of antibiotics, they did an MRI and thought they saw some infection in the bone! Then off I went to an ID Dr. ( infectious desease). He put me on different antibiotics and said call him in the morning. Now the bursitis is gone and I use an elbow pad. I have some numbness in bothe elbows. Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patd
    Rollin, I just went through the same thing. I must have buggered it during skiing. Anyway, the Dr. drained it and tested it and it came up with staff! So, after an IV and a couple kinds of antibiotics, they did an MRI and thought they saw some infection in the bone! Then off I went to an ID Dr. ( infectious desease). He put me on different antibiotics and said call him in the morning. Now the bursitis is gone and I use an elbow pad. I have some numbness in bothe elbows. Pat
    Pat...mine was red an spreading all over my arm. ive been on the antibiotics a couple of days now. its only light pink around the elbow now, still warm to the touch but still swollen some and hurts like hell. gotta go back monday an let the ortho doc look at it again. he said if its not better he's gotta cut it open to drain. at first they were talkin IV antibiotics, now cutting me?....ouch. i figured they could just drain it with a needle.

lynnifer....i might need an elbow pad. so far i have just been stayin off it. i used to lean on it constantly, just relaxing or when pickin up things an such. thats prolly what screwed it up.

capn....i needed that candy apple red and lime green to finish that clown in my coloring book.

Hi Rollin,

My doc said that the red swelling was a secondary infection called cellulitis. He also begged me not to ski till it all heals. The elbow pad is working great. And skiing has been fantastic! Pat