Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: applying for jobs

applying for jobs

I am thinking about applying for jobs, but I am not sure about the process now that I am in a wheelchair. If applying for a job through fax or email is it proper to let the person know you are in a wheelchair? and how would you do that? I kind of think of it as a first date and imagine what the persons reaction would be when they discover you are in a chair....so kinda the same when the employer sees...I dunno. I know it shouldnt matter because if you are qualified then you are qualified. Also, how do you find out for sure if they have proper restrooms etc. I would really like to get back out into the workforce but this is almost seeming like more work than it is worth.

don't mention it until you get offered an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    don't mention it until you get offered an interview.
    Exactly, agree with Scott on this one. At the interview, let them ask you the questions, dont volunteer anything, act confident and cool.

what happens though if they dont have proper washroom facilities? I guess they just wont call me back?

Just check it out when you get there for the interview and if you get the job ask that they upgrade their washrooms if there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    I am thinking about applying for jobs, but I am not sure about the process now that I am in a wheelchair. If applying for a job through fax or email is it proper to let the person know you are in a wheelchair?
    No. Your disability isn't relevant at such an early stage. Wait until you are offered an interview before you start worrying about whether the place is fully accessible or not.

I kind of think of it as a first date and imagine what the persons reaction would be when they discover you are in a chair....so kinda the same when the employer sees...I dunno. I know it shouldnt matter because if you are qualified then you are qualified.
    Looks matter in personal, intimate relationships. They should be irrelevant to most jobs and professional relationships. You don't need to tell a potential employer if you are a woman, Mexican, have a large chest or an ugly face. None of that is any of a potential employer's business and has nothing to do with applying for or being offered a job.

how do you find out for sure if they have proper restrooms etc. I would really like to get back out into the workforce but this is almost seeming like more work than it is worth.
    Finding a job is work for most people. You have two options when it comes to figuring out if a particular job site is accessible for you. If it's a public place, you can go and take a look before putting in your application. Or, you can do your best to get the job and then discuss accessibility when you are offered the job.

It depends on what kind of work you're looking for and where. I've always worked in the corporate world. Front office kind of jobs. I've had little trouble with accessibility when looking for work. Working in retail or something would obviously be a bit different. The type of disability may be a factor as well. So, what kind of accomodation are you worried about other than the bathroom thing?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    what happens though if they dont have proper washroom facilities? I guess they just wont call me back?
    What do you need? Would you be a good enough employee to make it worth an employer's while to make those changes? Can you communicate that effectively? Job interviews are all about selling yourself.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Job interviews are all about selling yourself.
    C.
    Confidence and Preparation.

Before your first interview gain some knowledge of the Company.
    Be prepared to answer question that maybe asked. Ask questions
    yourself regarding the job you are applying for. Good Luck and
    don't give up.

J

You need to assure your potential employer that you are capable of doing the job you are interviewing for. ABs need to do that too.

With regard to your disability, you may choose to assure the employer that you are healthy and capable of meeting the demands of the position.

I agree with not telling the person until you get an interview. The majority of interviews I had, the person didn't know I was in a chair until they called me into their office.

However, I'm also the one that was never hired on, so it may not be the best advice.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.