Thread: arachnoidis

arachnoidis

dr. young I think I got the spelling wrong. I received a spinal epidural before receiving a spinal tap. It sent a shock through my body, something akin to hitting your funny bone very, very hard. When the doctor left, a nurse said to me that this had gone very badly. It was a bloody tap, and the next day, lower back pain started, almost immediately present in it's intensity and serious, sharp pains.
    Of course, later as i became paraplegic, I was daigonsed with having a type 4 spinal avm just above the Conus. Today, my neurogenic burning pain is severe and always present. Could I have this as well? How about the epidural causing this? The injection may have affected my csf.
    what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by damagedgoods
    dr. young I think I got the spelling wrong. I received a spinal epidural before receiving a spinal tap. It sent a shock through my body, something akin to hitting your funny bone very, very hard. When the doctor left, a nurse said to me that this had gone very badly. It was a bloody tap, and the next day, lower back pain started, almost immediately present in it's intensity and serious, sharp pains.
    Of course, later as i became paraplegic, I was daigonsed with having a type 4 spinal avm just above the Conus. Today, my neurogenic burning pain is severe and always present. Could I have this as well? How about the epidural causing this? The injection may have affected my csf.
    what do you think?
    DG, from your description, it seems that the spinal needle may have penetrated the AVM and perhaps the spinal cord. The "electric shock" that you felt supports this and the presence of a bloody tap confirms it. Hemorrhage causes arachnoiditis and this may have contributed to your neurogenic pain. Of course, there is a possibility that your AVM itself was already bleeding and caused the arachnoiditis. You do not describe the course of your neurological loss but I assume that this occurred later, after the spinal tap and perhaps from some other procedure.

Hemorrhage (blood) in the cerebrospinal fluid contributes to inflammation, arachnoiditis, and the development of scar tissues between the arachnoid and the spinal cord and surrounding tissues. I wish that I knew of a way to reverse this. Untethering may help but the surgery itself may make things worse. It is possible that steroids (methylprednisolone) could have helped reduce the inflammation. There should be a randomized clinical trial of methylprednisolone to see if it does reduce the sequela of cerebrospinal hemorrhage from AVM.

Wise.