Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Software

I was also thinking that you should do an online virus scan at TrendMicro.

Remove infected files that you cannot clean in the System Restore data archive

If you suspect that previous restore points contain copies of infected monitored files that your antivirus program was not able to clean, you can remove these files and all the related restore points from the System Restore archive. To do so, turn off System Restore, and then turn it on again.

Notes
    • When you turn off System Restore, you remove all the restore points. When you turn on System Restore again, new restore points are created as the schedule and events require.
    • Verify that all the signature or the definition files are current. Make sure that your antivirus program is configured to exclude the System Volume Information (SVI) folder (a hidden computer folder that is located in the computer root, or %SYSTEMDRIVE%).

To completely and immediately remove any infected file or files in the data store, turn off and then turn on System Restore. To do so, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then double-click System.
    3. Click the System Restore tab, and then click to select the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.
    4. Click OK, and then click Yes to initiate the restore point deletion.
    To turn on System Restore again after the restore point deletion has completed, repeat these steps, but click to clear the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831829

This kind of rings a bell, one of the machines at work got invaded by something a few years ago. In the end I ended up having to delete some files manually out of the machine to be able to kill it. It would disable the AV program, constantly replicate itself, and was one real pain in the ass to get rid of. A good start is to write down what is being found by whatever AV program you have and do an internet search for what to do about it.

I have tried everything suggested, but I still have a virus in my system. I am convinced that the virus lies in one of the boot files as everytime I reboot the computer the virus pops up again. I have gone to Avast tech support to see if they have any ideas but have not yet gotten a reply. Reformatting is still my last approach.
    mike

have you tried going to pccillen and running a scan from there? I think it can clean virus's out also

Blog Entries
    what is the name of the virus, spell it EXACTLY case included and any weird characters, I'll find ya a solution if one exists and posst it.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    must not have had it set up right.
    trust me, it is REALLY good.
    If you had the modules up and running, nothing would have gotten in.

That's another good thing about AVAST it catches virii BEFORE the attachment can unleash its payload, just make sure you have it running and it has a module for online email also
    I just downloaded this last week, what do you mean by saying you must not have it set up right?

Mike
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Blog Entries
    It has 7 different modules, you must have the ones you need running first and foremost. For instance, if you use Outlook for your email client(I advise DO NOT EVER) you need the Outlook/Exchange provider(module) running. You can customize each one also.
    you need to generate a virus recovery database on installation and tell it when it can ddo it for updating, etc. There are many settings for any AV program out there. You need to set them up in order for the most protection available to suit your needs.

Blog Entries
    I expect people who use Microsoft Office and email applications to get viruii. It's gonna happen sooner or later to probably 50% of them AT LEAST. Now I personally know that just about everyone I know who uses either have gotten infected and most more than a few times. These folks also mostly are users of Norton or McAfee. Another that I recommend DON'T.
    I know there are gonna be chimers-in who say I'm a fool but everyone is entitled to speak their mind. I've been repairing computers for folks since 1997 for free, so I've fixed one or two. I know of which I speak; It is fact.
    If you are gonna use windows, you NEED to become aware of and adept at preventing intrusion and the best way is use other software than these I have mentioned in this thread from MS. Get OPEN OFFICE instead of MS Office, Use Opera and its built in email client instead of MS solutions.
    That is,was and will be my suggestions for hassle free computing. If ya want to pay for AV, use PCCILLIN and set IT up right. If you want to use a free one, AVAST. But set it up properly.
    One of the MOST IMPORTANT things you need is a NAT router whether it's built in to your dsl or cable modem or is a stand alone solution.
    And if you REALLY want to not be hassled by all this PREEMPTIVE BS on what is supposed to be a fun, useful, life enhancing tool/toy ; I suggest using a version of LINUX rather than WINDOWS anything for an operating system. Or at least set up a dual boot environment so you can have LINUX to use your computer when it does fail because of windows and it's many associated hazards IF YOU HAVE NO DESIRE TO BECOME A KNOWLEDGABLE USER. All my suggestions cost you ZERO bucks, these programs and OSes are FREE> designed and written by millions of users who have the stupid idea that a computer should WORK and not have to be fixed everyday.
    Such nonsense, eh?

Thank You for the info

Mike
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Types of viruses

The types of viruses I encountered were Luder-F, TIBS-ADQ[TRJ], and Luder--F and Barnrarum or something like it. Also Adir.dll in the windows/system32 directory. Can't be to specific as the virus has apparently destroyed my AVAST anti virus folder where the log of viruses are kept. Apparently these viruses from the boot sequence when you start up the system. As I tried to get my printer working I found that the program was destroyed and when I downloaded a new one from HP, the printer still would not work. I assume that some windows files got destroyed that are involved in the printing process. I guess I will have no choice to reformat as Avast customer support never got back with me.
    mike