Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Software

Just as a postscript, I don't know about the rest of you but I have been inundated with a slew of season's greeting emails with an attachment containing a virus.
    mike

No kidding, I'm waiting for the Office update for a new email filter to get rid of those.

AVG is the stuff

Grisoft offers a free version of 7.5 (you have to look around the site to get it). It works as good as any of the others and has a small footprint on your memory. The surest way of avoiding Viruses is not to open any mail from anyone you do not personally know.

Never open attachments, even from "friends" unless you put it on a thumb drive or other removable drive and scan it before opening.

I scan for Viruses every now and then but have never had one on any of my computers (except work computers that other people bang away at).

Avast Software

I might have spoken to soon complementing Avast software. I woke up this morning with my computer totally infested with viruses. Never had this kind of a problem before. I can only assume the Avast does not do as good a job protecting as was thought.
    mike

Blog Entries
    must not have had it set up right.
    trust me, it is REALLY good.
    If you had the modules up and running, nothing would have gotten in.

That's another good thing about AVAST it catches virii BEFORE the attachment can unleash its payload, just make sure you have it running and it has a module for online email also

Format My Drive

I cannot seem to stop the virus from coming up even with my anti virus software on and running properly. It appears that it is a virus that invades the windows/system32 file.

In any case it appears that I will have to reformat my main drive. How do I do this? It use to be simple but now you have to do something when you boot up the system to get into the reformat screen. Any help would be appreciated.
    mike

before ya do that mike, you might could try turning off system restore, startup in safe mode and then run a full system virus scan. sometimes viruses will hide out in system restore and will go undetected by your anti-virus.

Blog Entries
    Just run a full scan like Rollin said, probably won't even have to go safe mode, just start normally.
    I GUARANTEE you did not have it set up right.
    I will recommend also NOT using Microsoft software such as Internet Explorer and outlook express(use OPERA and it's mail client), don't use MS Office use Open Office and you'll cut your risk of intrusion by half or better.
    AVAST is a very good program but like all, it must be set up PROPERLY to prevent infection.
    One other thing, do you use a router with NAT either built in to your modem or seperate from it? If not, I would change this situation also.
    If you still want to format, the option is there to delete the partitions and make partitions/format, when you are using the windows os disk.
    If ya need help, holler, I'll be up for a few more hours and don't mind a bit.
    If ya want to call, my cell is 423-312-0694

if ya want to, here is an online scanner just click on it and follow the link there
    http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

but avast should get rid of it UNLESS you didn't allow it to build it's database when you first set it up, and I'll bet ya didn't...
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 01-07-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Rollins64 mentioned turning off systems restore in the safe mode. That is an interesting idea as many of the files that appear to be infected are systems restore files. Also the virus seems to recreate itself whenever I reboot or try to execute a program. How do I turn off systems restore? Might be worth a try before formating.
    mike

Blog Entries
    right click MY COMPUTER, click the SYSTEM RESTORE tab and check the box
    I personally DON'T use system restore as it is a space waster for me.