Thread: bad insomnia

bad insomnia

since my malpractice case i cannot sleep .what meds do you suggest?
    i am sick of watching the ceiling all night long.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Sleeping medications are not a good idea for anything more than a short period of time (up to two weeks). They nearly all interfere with REM sleep, which is necessary for your mental health, and they also interfere with the release of HGF (human growth factor) which in adults is necessary for tissue healing and repair. In addition, they can cause more problems with sleep apnea (very common in people with SCI) and may interact with other drugs you are taking. Many of them also have a "rebound" effect once you stop them, which may cause a week or more of sleeplessness as a result.

Getting more exercise and avoiding daytime napping and sleeping is one way to improve night-time sleep, as is being sure your sleep environment is conducive to sleep (lighting, air circulation, temperature, etc.). Avoiding heavy exercise just prior to sleeping, and avoiding alcohol use in the evening will also help.

Benadryl is a fairly innocuous medication that can be used to help fall asleep. Generally 50 mg. is recommended. Even it should only be used short term.

If you are ruminating on something that is keeping you from sleeping, you need to deal with it. Find someone to talk with about your feelings, and see if you can find a psychologist or social worker who can teach you relaxation techniques to deal with recurrent thoughts like this.

(I can personally recommend reading Carpenter's Neuroanatomy as a perfect way to get sleepy...it worked for me in grad school!!!!)

(KLD)

thank you kld.i will try to forget about my hurt feelings and to avoid sleep meds.my brain and my heart should do it.
    thank you one more time.
    is not easy but i will sleep again.i promise.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

KLD,

From your experience with patients, what is the alternative to not taking a sleeping aid? Just not sleep?

My anxiety spiked in October (whether due to starting a medicine, event or whatever) and has been so ever since and because of the difficulty in finding a mental health doctor in my area that's taking new patients, I've been on Xanax and Lunesta since mid-October to sleep. No, it's not ideal and I HATE relying on medicine to sleep but even if I feel relaxed and/or tired, my brain will usually NOT shut down on its own. How long can a person go without sleep? Will sleep eventually just come even for those suffering with insomnia? Sleep deprivation itself can make anxiety disorders worse.

It's a really tough issue. Insomnia is awful.