Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of Christmas

Origin of Christmas

http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm
    No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ’s birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?
    The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.
    Interesting theory as to the origin of the Xmas tree.
    The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

The evergreen tree will also make a house smell fresh, when the inhabitants do not.

There were probably any number of similar festivals around the winter solstice - e.g., the Roman Saturnalia; Scandinavian Jul (Yule), Chinese 冬至 (Dongzhi), Hopi Soyal,... Any culture that developed a study of the positions of the sun throughout the year. It's interesting that the culture most of us share now is nearly oblivious to the positions of the sun along its analemma, except for noticing that the days are shortest in winter.
    Yes, the smell of the fresh evergreen is pleasant.
    - Richard

i need an evergreen in my house then, as it's inhabitant does not smell fresh

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    i need an evergreen in my house then, as it's inhabitant does not smell fresh
    You don't have to wait until spring to smell fresh, as the folks in ancient times did. Get thee to the shower!!

Oh - and don't throw out the baby with bath water!

ian, have you ever considered your sources could be fabricated or wrong to? maybe Jesus birthday is actually 11:57pm dec 24th. im pretty sure you were not around 2006 years ago to give us the exact details.

maybe you can explain why an evolutionary film i watched in college showed cavemen walking the land bridge from russia to alaska barefoot & almost naked? did they get cold? i got in trouble for laughing & asking that question. maybe it was global warming that kept them warm i dunno but my professor couldnt answer my stupid question as to how they stayed warm while all the animals were freezing to death.

i think one will find most historians agree jesus was not born on december 25th. this is not a new concept. i think the point is this is when christians celebrate it.

also, it is always interesting to me that hundreds, if not thousands, of people were crucified by the roman empire. yet only jesus spawned a major world religion. the question is why. for christians, the answer would be obvious. from a purely historical perspective, it's not.

saw an interesting documentary the other day narrated by liam neeson entitled "after jesus: the first christians." one important thing i was really glad to see touched on was the role of women and how/why it changed. this is not talked about much in traditional christianity.

btw, how many were told/believe mary magdelene was a prostitute? she wasn't. you won't ever find her referred to as such in the bible.

one more thing: i don't believe our current calendar existed at the time of his birth anyway. so, really, it's kind of moot.
    Last edited by cass; 12-26-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

Interesting theory as to the origin of the Xmas tree.
    I did my token part in carrying on this tradition (the gluttonous eating, at least) by indulging in a sausage sandwich and 2 1/3 browines on Christmas day. I'm too heavy as it is but that's another post/thread.

Merry X-Christmans Ian and all.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by CLC379
    ian, have you ever considered your sources could be fabricated or wrong to? maybe Jesus birthday is actually 11:57pm dec 24th. im pretty sure you were not around 2006 years ago to give us the exact details.

maybe you can explain why an evolutionary film i watched in college showed cavemen walking the land bridge from russia to alaska barefoot & almost naked? did they get cold? i got in trouble for laughing & asking that question. maybe it was global warming that kept them warm i dunno but my professor couldnt answer my stupid question as to how they stayed warm while all the animals were freezing to death.
    Actually during the Roman Saturnalia December 25th specifically was the Feast of the She Wolf. That would be the animal that nursed Romulus and Remus the founders of Rome. Later a church was built above where the den of the She Wolf was thought to have lived. The Pope visited 4 churches for ages on Christmas; St Anastasia (the one above the She Wolf's liar), St Pauls Without the Walls, St John Lateran ( the first Vatican) and then Saint Peter's. A priest studying the history of certain customs back in the 1950's came across the She Wolf myth and immediately Saint Anastasia's was closed. It still stands with broken windows and grass growing off the roof near the Temples of Vesta (Hester) and Hercules. Each Bishop gets a church in Rome and at the time this was for Los Angeles in the USA. It's hard to see the standard but it was still visible last time we were in Rome about 2 months ago.

Oh, and Isis was not a major figure in Rome itself since she was an import from Egypt. You'll find more Isis worship in the areas of Italy conquered by the Greeks like Pompei, Herculeneum and out into the Greek Islands of Delos, etc. As for the link Mithrus was worshipped by many Roman soldiers and he was an import from Persia (Iran).

And biblical archeologists and astronomers also place the date of birth differently based on stars.

As for the caveman question. Good question. Neanderthals didn't do much sewing due to very rough tool making skills. But they did wear furs that were cut to fit over the head and such and tied them on their feet. The land bridge was there because the glaciers were rather high and so many places were extremely cold but I think the film's maker took poetic license and used the lack of furs on the lower legs/feet as how hard their journey had been.

Just call me an Old World Pagan
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Actually during the Roman Saturnalia December 25th specifically was the Feast of the She Wolf.
    Not exactly. Saturnalia is held in honour of the god Saturnus. He is a god of agriculture. The Larentalia may have been associated with Lupa, but it follows the Saturnalia. This festival was traditionally held on 17 December, but was stretched into a week of celebration, gift giving, a reversal of roles and suspension of battles and hostilities.

Just call me an Old World Pagan
    Are you?

C.