Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    downloading as we speak, Oh Verbose One
    I can't wait til it gets here, you are gonna be SO sick of me,lol.
    Hi Capn,

If you want, after you familiarize with LO:MAC, we can fly around together blowing stuff up as wingmen and even do a little formation flying. Before we go "head to head" in any competition like dogfighting.

I have the TeamSpeak2 client installed (they use it at the HyperLobby server) and perhaps we can voice chat as we fly using that program. I've never hosted a TeamSpeak2 session so don't know if one of us would need to have the TeamSpeak2 host software installed and the other the client software or just how that works. Maybe you have a voice chat program that you like that we could use. Such as AIM, Yahoo, MSN Messenger or whatever. Let me know. Or we can just type chat but that's inconvenient while you're trying to fly and fight at the same time.

I always use my headset (actually a mic and speakers) for many of my aircraft's functions... the different views, flaps, landing gear, ordering my AI wingmen around, nav modes, air-to-ground mode, weapon selection.... over a hundred different commands and I know with TeamSpeak2 I can toggle between the Shoot 1.6.4 program and the TeamSpeak program. I'm sure we'll be able to figure that out with whatever voice chat proggy we find best.

I assume, after awhile, you'll want to use the Shoot voice recognition program. It really makes flying and fighting a breeze and it's amazingly accurate even if you don't create a personal profile in the MS Speech Engine program. I use mine with just a uni-directional Logitech ($10.00) boom mic and my speakers. I have a headset but they're not very comfy and they're "confining" and my Klipsch speakers sound better that the Sennheiser headset. But to make the voice recognition program more accurate you should go through the 10 minute voice training session.

I explained it before but I can make it even easier.

1- Look in the Control Panel in the "Add or Remove Programs" section and see if you have "Microsoft NET.Framework 1.1" installed. If you do that's great. If you have 2.0 installed you'll need a little workaround edit to do as I mentioned in my previous post.

If you don't have Microsoft NET.Framework 1.1 (23MBs) installed go HERE and download and install dotnetfx.exe.

2- Then restart your computer and download and install the SpeechSDK51.exe
    68.0 MB Download HERE. You'll need to scroll down a bit to find it.

Then restart again and download and "install" the small Shoot (211kb) 1.6.4 program that's located HERE.

Then download the XML profile that I edited/wrote/use HERE and paste it into the "profiles" folder in Shoot 1.6.4. The Shoot 1.6.4 program is "free standing" in that it doesn't install itself anywhere. I just keep mine in a temp folder that I created in C:\temp. You can put it anywhere but I prefer somewhere in the C drive.

To use it just open up the Shoot 1.6.4 program (create a shortcut... I have mine on the Quick Launch Bar) and under "File" choose "Open" and 2 click on my "LOCKON3" profile. Then just minimize the program and leave it on the taskbar and open up Lock On and fly and fight. That's it.

I named a few commands with words that may not seem as easy or logical as one might think they should be. It's because some words are "understood" better by the Speech Engine than others. And adding an extra syllable or two to a command makes for less mistakes. Especially "critical" ones like "eject". I made that command read "pilot eject" because sometimes the background noise or flickin' my Bic or opening up a cold one would eject my guy prematurely. A premature ejeculation so to speak.

They're all linked HERE and if your copy of XP isn't "quite" legal maybe it's best to get the one from the server there. On my old Alieware I have a perhaps not so legal corporate copy of XP Pro on it and that new WGA crap from MS might mess with you.... I don't think it will since it's a redistributive version but ya never know with MS.

After you install the SpeechSDK51.exe program you'll see a new icon in your Control Panel named "Speech". Just 2 click on that and you can configure your microphone and create a personal speech profile etc in there if ya want. It's rather self explanatory once you get in there.

If you have a Registry Cleaner program (I use RegClean) you'll want to put the words "Speech Engine" on the "Ignore" list or it may delete the registry entries... 8 of 'em. Damn, it took me months to figure out why I needed to keep reinstalling that program! Duh.

This program should really be good for you PatonB if you should decide to try out the new demo from the Russian Lock On website that I linked to earlier. You can do everything with this free voice recognition program and use your good arm/hand just for the joystick. I can edit it for you if there are certain things like zooming in and out that I don't already have in the Shoot 1.6.4 Lock On profile that I use. I use a "hat" on my joystick for that but if you only have one hat on your joystick you'll probably want to use that for "looking around". Although I have voice commands in my profile for looking left and right and up and down, back, etc. but they're not as fine tuned as using a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by PatonB
    Once I get back to my desktop, I'm gonna pick up the trackpro head tracker from edimenssional to help get a handle n controls.
    Many people at the Lock On forums swear by NaturalPoint's TrackIR pointing device. The latest version 4.0 can zoom in and out too by moving your head closer or farther away from the tracking device. Some think it's as "necessary" as a joystick. Hmmmm... So of course I had to get one. At that time the latest version was the TrackIR 3.0 Pro and I tried it out and didn't like it. It was too confining. I had to sit here almost motionless and to make it look right you had to turn your head right while keeping your eyes on the monitor. Talk about eye strain! And everytime I took a drink or a smoke I was moving my head and so was off center most of the time. I had my voice recognition program set to recenter it but it wasn't for me and I sent it back. It was the only thing I ever bought that I sent back... other than broken things. There's a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy and I got most of my money credited to my credit card... just minus shipping. I'm glad I tried it out but it just wasn't for me. You need to keep your head very still and just move your eyes... I rather use my joystick hat to look around and have freedom of head movement.

There were few a funny stories of guys putting the reflective dot on their nose or forehead and forgetting about it. Then going out to the store or wherever and getting strange stares from people! After getting home and perhaps looking in the mirror they realized why.

I thought I'd write this now so you could work out any bugs (if any) before your copy of Lock On gets to you.

Hey, I'm trying to keep it short but..... it just ain't in me!

Bob.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I download my LOCKON3.xml that it's opened up already. Just go to "File" and select "Save As" and it will become an xml icon that you can then paste into the Shoot 1.6.4 "profile" folder.
    Last edited by bob clark; 01-16-2007 at 05:01 AM.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Ok dooHaad,
    I'm getting the downloads. I have used TS for years. I can host a server on a spare computer here or give you the info our 'bunch' has for our server. I just gotta run it by them first. On it, there are no problems, PLENTY of bandwidth(commercial place).
    Flick the bic and get ejected, caused me to spit coffee(decaf ) all over,lol.
    Dang I'd like to be a fly on the wall, stuff like that makes life worth livin....and the dot on the nose....
    I THINK the dude shipped my copy today, his email wasn't clear.
    I am gonna go get the DEMO in a few. Watching those vids last night got me to salivatin' , forgot just how MUCH I like flying. Got my nephews joystick from the old house last nite. It is a logitech -wingman force 3d
    I wish I had your thrustmaster setup, but that'll never happen. Big ED guarenteed me that I'll never be a winner, no check and camera peeps at MY door.
    I'll have a better idea how my puter will handle the load after I get the demo. later
    Oh filler of sails...

Blog Entries
    CRAP! I'm having to download from the RU site, the us mirrors aren't up. I signed up at two other sites trying to get it and after all that THEY down't have it. So I'm getting the RU version, HOPING it's in ENGLISH...we'll see...
    it's kinda slow, gonna take 20 minutes

CRAP! I'm having to download from the RU site, the us mirrors aren't up. I signed up at two other sites trying to get it and after all that THEY down't have it. So I'm getting the RU version, HOPING it's in ENGLISH...we'll see...
    it's kinda slow, gonna take 20 minutes
    Hi Capn,

In my post #19 I wrote:

I'm gonna download the new demo now and see what it's like. Oh, it's a 284 MB file (more than double the size of the old demo) but it's downloading pretty fast... 10% already. But I had to use the Russian mirror.... the 2 US mirrors aren't working. Hey, 55% already.
    So it'll be the English version. It'll have two A-10 tutorials in it but like I said they're about weapons control... not take off and landings. But that video from Ironhand covers take off and navigation in detail. The one at http://www.flankertraining.com/ironh...ightbasics.htm will show you how.

VIDEO :: Getting Started Part 2: The Mission"

Quote:
    Aircraft :: A-10
    Lock On version :: NONE NEEDED
    Description:::
    In this video (800x600) we fly the mission we created in Getting Started: Part 1. I try to keep it fairly simple, using the basic views and key commands. Instruction avoids more in depth topics such as the Armament Control Panel, release modes, etc. The goal is simply to get you up and flying, putting weapons on target without getting overly involved. Even so there will be times when, as a newcomer, you will want to pause or rewind.
    Included in the RAR file is a README, the mission itself for you to fly (V1.12a), and a document in Rich Text Format (RTF) that provides the key commands in roughly the order they were used.

Since this file is compressed with WinRar (a compression utility some of you might not have cheap access to), I've made it self-extracting. Just click on the downloaded file and it should ask you where you want it installed.

Should the video not play, you need to install the XviD codec. For some reason, FC did not install it during the installation process. You can download it here: XviD-1.1.0.

Download Size: 171 MB :: Runtime: 26:51
    Since you have experience flying you shouldn't have any problems. The A-10 is really a pussy cat to operate. That damn Su-25 is the pit bull! Read the README file and print out the Key Command Chart if you can.

If it doesn't come with the user's manual you can download it HERE. EDIT: And the Key Command Chart too.

Cool that you have TS and know how to host it too. I don't think we need a separate server (computer) to use it but if it saves resources, every little bit helps.

I really love my Cougar. I have the pots replaced with Hall Effect sensors and a whole different gimbal setup. It's sweet and weighs a ton! The original gimbals had 14 or 18 pound springs in them and was really was a bad, sloppy design. The below Uber NXT is as smooth as silk and really accurate. The guy who designed and milled it etc lives in Australia and is quite a craftsman. It's a piece of art in my eyes!

Let me know if you have any problems. Hopefully I'll be able to help.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hi Capn,

I should have looked first but the Reference Manual and Key Command Chart is in the Doc Folder.

Bob.

Blog Entries
    gotta get the update for the demo forgot, lookin.....
    touchy since I having flown in a real sim in so long, lol u can imagine, however I DID NOT crash printed the keymaps and going through them, about to do the p4actice run again, i suk so bad flying I couldn't find the targets on the road on my 3rd pass got KornfUzed
    DANG I LIKE THIS!! wish I had gotten it 3 yrs ago.
    then I'll do a few checkouts with the voice thing

before the day is out we'll get on TS and hook up whereever you want to fly and I'll just wing behind ya foor practice...
    I'll be shuffling papers for keys if I have mike trouble... I get it every now and then....
    shoot, lets just get on TS and u can talk me through the voice command thing, it seems to simple to be true....>>>goes looking for mike...
    If u have a TS server already for us to go to, post the addy for me and I'll meet ya there

Blog Entries
    ]awww i forgot i have the demo,lol
    ii can't play til I get my copy here in the mail
    I'll see .if the voice commands work with the demo
    I think I'll go ahead and download the flaming cliffs update rather than the get the gold version for now anyway

]awww i forgot i have the demo,lol
    ii can't play til I get my copy here in the mail
    I'll see .if the voice commands work with the demo
    I think I'll go ahead and download the flaming cliffs update rather than the get the gold version for now anyway
    Hi Capn,

There's no update for the demo. The Shoot 1.6.4 voice activation/recognition program will work fine with the demo. It will work fine with any game or sim... it just inputs keyboard keystrokes via your voice. You can write emails with it..... well write it in RichText then copy and paste that into an email or here at the forums. Other than the fact that some (just a few) of the Key Commands are different in the different versions of LO:MAC. You can edit my Shoot LOCKON3 profile with an XML editor but you may as well wait and just use the keyboard for those few commands that are different and find aren't working correctly.

The demo is very stripped down. And I found that my joystick X & Y axes are more sensitive than in the retail versions. And there's no way to adjust them from within the Input options of the demo. In the retail version you can. So I edited the Cougar profile... just messing around with it.

Hopefully your Logitech® Force™ 3D (Pro??) will have sensitivity dampening or control in its software if you find that it needs it. The README file is in the software download and I don't want to install it on my computer to find out.

And I noticed that you can't "Change" or add very many of the keyboard keys in the Input options of the demo thus the mapping of them to your joystick or Shoot program. But the basic, most important ones are there. You'll have enough to work with to keep you busy until your retail version arrives.

The Saitek J24C X45 Flight Control System Joystick and Throttle (USB) is a mid to high priced HOTAS that a lot of flight simmers are buying these days. It's got every bell and whistle that they could squeeze onto it. IMO too many because it makes it unrealistic.

You can now get the older version Saitek X45 model pretty cheap nowadays especially on eBay. That's if you like to have a throttle separate from the joystick. But there's a throttle control on your Logitech® Force™ 3D and that'll work fine.

CH Products are probably the best, out of the box, flight control systems out now. You can really spend some money if you want a complete setup. Thrustmaster's HOTAS Cougar is IMO the best but you need to invest about $500 in 2nd party upgrades to it to get it running right.

I've seen some outrageous home-built cockpits... for the real flight and combat flight enthusiasts. Some of these nuts wear regulation flight suits and helmets etc and need to climb into their simulator cockpit.

Boys and their toyz.

We shouldn't have any problem with TS and Shoot. There's a toggle switch that we can use in Shoot. If you look at the XML code highlighted in red I believe we just change "on" to "off" and then we can hold down the default "/" key (or choose another) to use the Shoot program. Otherwise TS should be enabled if it's set to "always on" or "voice activated".

But that kinda defeats the purpose of flying without having to use the keyboard.

I would rather have it the other way around..... press a key to talk in TS and have the Shoot program always on. Does TS have a toggle switch that you need to hold down when you talk. You know, switch between "always on" or "voice activated" to holding down a key when we talk?

We should be able to create a command entry in Shoot to turn TS on and off.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    <shoot-config>
    <!--push-to-talk initial-state="on" mode="hold">
    <key type="F10" />
    </push-to-talk-->
    <push-to-talk initial-state="on">
    <hold on-press="enable">
    <key type="/"/>
    </hold>
    <toggle>
    <key type=""/>
    </toggle>
    </push-to-talk>

I'll check out the changes I just wrote about and then go to the Shoot website and look at the FAQs and ask about it at HyperLobby and the UBI LO:MAC forums. We'll figure it out. I read before that it can be done.

Bob... the jet engine exhaust heat blur!

PS. The Heat Blur graphics option in LO:MAC slows the framerates down a tad too. But it looks so cool... well hot!

Blog Entries
    yeah BobKat, TS can be voice or key activated
    I gotta hit the sack, long drive to doc in the am
    I got the SHORT editor at the same time
    correct the demo has NO settings adjustment for the JS
    that is a TOUCHY fellow on PRO I enjoyed the heck out of few hours flying those two scenarios even blew some stuff up and crashed twice, couldn't get the zoom back, FINALLY remembered the keys but it STILL acted up flight control wise when I took over at the very beginnings of my later flights, instead of letting instructor have all the fun, maybe a limitation of the demop

anyhoo I'll be back in the pm tomorrow cya then
    may there be wind in yer sails...
    OH...that's your job
    just HADDA say it
    gonna have to get Brent for starting it

I own the voice buddy software and use it with BF1942 with no problems. It says it's supposively all setup for LOMAC.

I need a stick though... I had bedn borrowing a freinds MS older stick, with the throttle off to the side, which was perfect for me.
    My other issue is I tend to twist as I turn right.