Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Bob and Air Ohs, does this mean that your're both addicted? Or that, in you opinions, you're close to addicted?

I ask this next prefacing it with the admission that I'm addicted to CC: if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?

Jukester (only for the Christmas season)
    No. I only play e-golf when I'm drunk and usually only with Dave, my ex-neighbor (he finally moved outta his parent's house.... again.... but "he'll be baaaaaaackkkk!") and shopper friend. So that's about twice, maybe three times a month. He now owes me $150,000.00! Once we get playing we'll play for a few/several hours. Last week we played until 2AM. I drank too much whiskey with the beer and had quite a hangover the next morning. Ouch.

I've only played it (Tiger Woods PGA Tour) online half a dozen times or so. But I used to belong to an online golf team called "The Goodfellas Golf Team". I think that was between MSGolf 3.0 up until they merged with another company (I forget the name) after releasing MSGolf 99. I played online a couple/few times a week against other teams... we almost won the championship ladder tournament... we came in second amid charges that the winning team cheated. I don't know if they did or not. But I don't like being forced to play a pre-determined number of ladder games per week as my busy schedule doesn't permit such luxuries! And the team would get together and practice too.... not on a regular schedule but whenever we saw each other online at the golfing forum. I don't like being "tied down" so to speak.

I try to combat flight sim every day to "stay in shape" but it's usually only a half hour mission... perhaps up to an hour each day. Nothing that I would consider an addiction.

I spend a lot more time reading and writing here at CC than I do e-golfing and combat flight simming combined. I'll combat fight sim online maybe once a month.... again, only after I get drunk and it becomes more fun!

The drunker I get the better I e-golf... I guess the drinking relaxes me and I can control the left mouse button/swing gauge better. At least up until a point. And that point comes sooner if I'm downing the whiskey too fast or if I take a hit or two of reefer that Dave is trying to "force" on me. The only way he can win is if he gets me totally zoned out! Actually we're very close skill-wise.... he just seems to lose it under the pressure of the last couple of holes. Hahaha.

Actually that's not totally true about the reefer. Sometimes it will zone me in and I'll play even better. I need the right combination of beer and whiskey chased with just a "taste" of late night reefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?
    What's the extra "C" stand for.... "Community"?

I don't have an answer to your question..... I enjoy them both. It's like asking a mother to choose between her children. Well, with my brother's latest DUI ($300 for towing and impound fees paid for by Mom) plus defaulting to the tune of $16,000 on his car... (Mom was the co-signer!) and in essence throwing away (due to his latest DUI) about $3,000 in fees, fines and re-certification etc. trying to get his nursing license back.... I think my brother would probably get thrown overboard first! He might go to prison (not just the county jail) this time. You'd think that someone would learn after their 4th or 5th DUI and sentenced to 90 days (he served 60) of jail time. And they only count the DUIs he has in FL.... if they counted all the States he's gotten DUIs in he'd probably never see the light of day.

At least no one was hurt and the car can be sold for around $10,000. He won't be needing it were he's going... and I'm sure his driver's license will be suspended for years. I'm gonna try to find a drug rehab center for him but it doesn't look good. The rehab thing usually only works for wealthy movie stars etc. He needs long-term rehab treatment and has no health insurance. We need to find him a rehab "bed" that Medicaid will cover but that probably isn't in the cards. We have 'til the 4th, his court date, to find out. He hasn't even contacted a lawyer or public defender yet. I don't know what to think... or do with him.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Bob, I sorry to hear about you brother's looming problems but I find it ironic that he's facing what societal sanctions he is while your x-neighbor ("but he'll be baaaccckkk", and I'll bet he will as I know the type) still skates free with the fairly plush free ride he enjoys at the taxpayers expense.

Thanks for answering my questions so candidly; I thought you'd ignore or evade. Honestly, I enjoy and spend so much time at my solitaire, pinball ( two PCs = two screens/games) and centipede (same as pinball) that I'd be loath to give them up almost as much as the CCC (carecure community), but CareCure would win. Gotta chuckle at your two kids analogy; you gotta way wit words.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Games are too addictive. I was introduced to the world of online games when I was in sci rehab. Pre sci I was an arrogant twit who considered it the domain of nerds and social outcasts .

I loved playing RTS games like Age of Empires, then Age of Kings. Even with quad hands I could more than hold my own. Then a friend suggested I try mmorpgs, (multiplayer online role playing for the technopeasants ) and that was really fun. Ultima online was my favourite and the last one I played was world of warcraft. I havent been playing much in the past few years though, real life and work has intervened. Its too time consuming to be competitive because I cant stand losing or even not being the best.

I would have loved to play some of the FPS titles out there but I cant compete with functioning hands .
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CLC379
    maybe some are just addicted to flax seed i was addicted to checkers,,never got into the nintendo stuff online,,used to spend hours searching for new programs checker cheat's used to beat me with, i would download pragram & practice against them until i could draw or beat them. but then hackers started taking my points even when they were losing, kind of lost interest.

intetresting the checkers game even with all the super computers out has not been perfected, while the supposedly more sophisticated chess game was perfected back in the 80's. havnt played chess in several years because it screws with checker's strategy but im up for a challenge in checkers or chess anytime

and theres one person here i really want to give a few dominoe lessons
    that would be checker cheats, CLC,

Flax rules. I could go for a little chess.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hello, My name is Brent, and I'm an addict.. But then again i have nothhing else to do. Countless hours wasted/enjoyed playing Bf1942, Medal of Honour, Americas Army.. Now, NWN 1 &2.

Hey, AO, you should check out Voice Buddy

It really helps with keys.

I'm an addict. I love FPS games on the pc. I do pretty well even though I have the quad hands. Those trackballs are great. Right now I mostly play Halo and Call of Duty 2.

You dont know gaming addiction until you find yourself:

1. playing games daily (this is a must, none of the 2-3 times a week stuff)
    2. putting more than 5 hours a day into games
    3. blow off spending time with someone youre attracted to, even better if youre in a relationship, just to play games.

im a recovering World of Warcraft addict, i was up to 10+ hours a day back when i played hardcore. over that time i had two serious 6 month relationships. how in the world did i pull that one off?

played majority of my hours post-injury, although just as many hours pre-injury.
    T-10 complete, May 8th 2005(Mother's Day)
    Cripple Pride!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Hello, My name is Brent, and I'm an addict.. But then again i have nothhing else to do. Countless hours wasted/enjoyed playing Bf1942, Medal of Honour, Americas Army.. Now, NWN 1 &2.

Hey, AO, you should check out Voice Buddy

It really helps with keys.
    LOL,
    NOW I know yer name ol timer!! BRENT, I'm glad to meet you. It's funny, we have the same addiction BRENT. "My mother told me to always USE someones name at least 3 times when you first meet them and you will remember it BRENT." >from a movie I love who's NAME ironically escapes me<
    Anywhoo, I missed this thread and was reading through it and jumped on that link, THANKS a LOT>sarcasm< now I have more products I will have to pay good money I DON'T have to spare
    That is a great find. I hear quite a few quads wish they had something to replace the mouse so they can play games. NOW I have help for them thanks to you... BRENT >yeah, I'll run a good joke in the ground<
    When I first got online, I would play flight sims and golf, BOTH I had numerous times played over 3 days straight with NO sleep, only getting up to water the daisies and get something for the munchies or to drink.
    Folks who knew me BEFORE being injured(WHY I got online) thought I'd flipped my lid cause I was always out partying, riding motorcycles or golfing. I was only inside to sleep and bathe,lol.
    I have RECENTLY broke my gaming habits only play sporadically. But when I play, it's usually 6-10 hours. Generally Battlefield2, SWAT4 or Joint Ops. I have many games but rarely play them as they are older. Haven't simmed in a while but IF I get that voice software, I would have to try LOCK ON as BobKat has got me TOTALLY covinced it is more fun than a girlfriend.....uhhh, I can say that NOW cause I have been alone for 10 years, lol>or NOT...kinda sad < I ALMOST bought it once in Office Max on the spur of the moment but I wanted to eat that week for SOME strange reason and didn't <kiddin'> It was only because I could get it cheaper on ebay, but still haven't got it.
    WELCOME THUSA btw, COOL hoody in your other picture post.
    I have now got to go waste more time....see ya guys later

GAWD he's long winded....

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    Haven't simmed in a while but IF I get that voice software, I would have to try LOCK ON as BobKat has got me TOTALLY covinced it is more fun than a girlfriend.....uhhh, I can say that NOW cause I have been alone for 10 years, lol>or NOT...kinda sad < I ALMOST bought it once in Office Max on the spur of the moment but I wanted to eat that week for SOME strange reason and didn't <kiddin'> It was only because I could get it cheaper on ebay, but still haven't got it.
    Hi Capn,

Damn, I'm pissed. I just spent an hour replying (GAWD I'm long winded too....) to a thread in the Cure forum and was proofreading it when my electricity went out for 2 seconds and I lost everything. Oh well. Just last month I bought a clock with "backup" batteries in it because I really get annoyed at having to reset my clocks everytime the power goes out like that for just a few seconds. But anyway....

I just noticed that they have a new free demo Lock On: Modern Air Combat at the Russian website.... UBI no longer bothers with it. The new demo has both the US A-10 Warthog PLUS the Russian SU-25. The older demo only had the A-10.

I have the Flaming Cliffs 1.12A upgrade and it has the later model SU-25T in it. It flies like a brick but it's my favorite to fly. The "T" model has the updated avionics and laser guided weaponry on it etc whereas the older model is very basic.... fly from the seat of your pants type of aircraft. The SU-25 and SU-25T are Russia's counterparts to the US' A-10.

You can download the new free demo HERE. Scroll down 'til you see it... like 5 items down. I haven't tried it yet but just may.... but I'll have to figure out a way to have that installed alongside my updated retail version. It can be done but it may take a "workaround".

If the jpg doesn't show up above that probably means the website is still down.

Damn, I just went there to find out the file size and the website just is down. Sometimes that website really sux. The older demo was 120MBs so I imagine the newer one is larger. I'll check back there before I post this. The older demo is HERE on the right side of the webpage but the newer version may have the improved graphics and flight models.

I want you to check out this video of the soon to be released 2nd add-on to Lock On. It's the Russian Black Shark (Ka-50) attack chopper. If this doesn't get you excited then you're just not into combat flight sims! I have no idea what language the website is in but just click on the big arrow in the video screen. There's an AltaVista Babel page translater on the left side of the page. I didn't try it out but it may work pretty well... but no need for it if you just want to watch the video.

After you check out the demo and think you may want the retail version you can buy that now at Amazon new and used from $2.29 + $3.49 shipping. The New copies are only $2.29 + $3.49 shipping. That's cheap. Check them out HERE and make sure you get a USA version. Even the English (UK) version is different.... not to mention the German, Russian, etc. versions.

The Gold version is already upgraded with the additional 1 aircraft... the SU-25T but it costs $20. It has 7 flyable aircraft (A-10A, F-15C, MiG-29A, MiG-29K, Su-25, Su-25T, Su-27, and Su-33) and about 50 unflyables. You can read some reviews of it HERE.

It gets a bit confusing because I don't know for certain if the Gold version is actually the Lock On with the Flaming Cliffs add-on or not. It probably is but it's made or at least put out by another company called "Evolved Games" and it doesn't say anything about Flaming Cliffs at their website. And there were quite a few bad CDs put on the shelves that needed to be returned. Pain in the ass stuff. It's strange.... but after you get the new demo from the Russian website just let me know and I'll find out what the story is.

But what I would do is buy the regular Lock On at that cheap price, download the latest free patch to version 1.02 and then if you want, go to the Russian website and for $14.99 upgrade to Flaming Cliffs version 1.12A. That's what I did. I was a bit leery about giving them my credit card # but everything's been cool. And then when Black Shark is released you can upgrade to that for $14.99.... that's what I heard the price will be. It'll be downloadable from their website.

So now that I got you really confused.....

You can register there or just use my info to logon with.

nickname = bobc PW = 123334

Ah, the website is back up! You'll need a pretty fast connection... do you have DSL or cable? If not you can PM your address and I'll burn and send them up to you. Hey, with a copy of "1 Night In Paris (Hilton)" full version with the 4 bon(er)us feature videos!

I'm gonna download the new demo now and see what it's like. Oh, it's a 284 MB file (more than double the size of the old demo) but it's downloading pretty fast... 10% already. But I had to use the Russian mirror.... the 2 US mirrors aren't working. Hey, 55% already.

I hope you have a joystick because it's tough enough to fly even with one. It's a true simulator... not an arcade game and has a pretty steep learning curve. If you have a printer, print out the command key card. And read the README file!

You can go HERE and get a beginners "Up to Speed" guide for the A-10.

And HERE for the SU-25T.... the demo is the non-T version but most everything is the same except for the MFD (Multi Functional Display) and HUD and a few other things. But hopefully the demo will have the enhanced graphics.

I don't think there are any tutorials in the demo like there are in the retail version.

There are quite a few mpg XviD-1.1.0. turorial videos that you can download and view from Ironhand at his Flanker Training website. They're fun to watch, listen and learn from. Just make sure you get the ones that say in yellow: Lock On version :: NONE NEEDED :: Created with FLAMING CLIFFS X.Y.Z. And they're fairly large sized videos. You can download the XviD-1.1.0 codec right there at the bottom of each video box. And you may need a copy of WinRAR to decompress a few of the videos and the link is also there.

The demo has landed, all 284MBs of it. Now I have to figure out a way to install it without screwing up my retail version. It may not be a problem but I know you have to finangle things if you want say version 1.0 to run alongside Flaming Cliffs 1.12A. Renaming folders and such.

I'm gonna give it a try now. If you need any help let me know. LO:MAC will put a hurting on your computer.... maybe Andy's new rig with that uber high 3DMark06 score can handle it with everything maxxed out but I wouldn't be surprised if even he wouldn't need to back off a bit in some of the graphic's options. I fly at 1280x1020 and that looks great... 1600x1200 and the print starts looking a bit small for my old eyes.... and old glasses. I need to get out to the optometrist.

Take 'er eazy and get 'er done.

Oh, and I hope you have a copy XP installed... I don't think LO:MAC will work in Linux!

Oh, you can download a free voice recognition program called "Shoot 1.6.4 "HERE. Don't download the combined file.... I couldn't get it to work. You need to install NET.Framework 1.1 first, then the MS SAPI 5.1-compatible speech recognition engine, such as the one shipped with MS Office XP and then the Shoot 1.6.4 program. All the instructions and links for these free MS programs are there. If you're using NET.Framework version 1.1 and 2.0 you need to install this "fix". If you don't have v. 2.0 installed then you won't need to do any editing.

As long as you didn't uninstall .NET Framework 1.1, there is a simple solution:

1. Open the shoot.exe.config file using Wordpad.
    2. Edit the file to look like this:

<configuration>
    <system.diagnostics>
    <trace autoflush="true">
    <listeners>
    <clear/>
    <!--add name="traceListener" type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener" initializeData="shoot-trace.txt" /-->
    </listeners>
    </trace>
    </system.diagnostics>
    <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime/>
    </configuration>

3. Save the edited file.
    4. Shoot 1.6.4 now runs fine as long as you have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 installed.

Better yet, just download the fixed file from my website and overwrite the old file with the new one:

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/sflores1...oot.exe.config
    And there's a Shoot XML profile editor HERE.

Or I can email you a copy of my LO:MAC profile... it's a small file. I think there are some in the "Library" for LO:MAC at the Shoot 1.6.4 website and you can just edit those. But I think they're pretty complicated.... too many voice commands on them for my liking.

I use Peters XML creator/editor but give the Shoot Profile Editor a try first... it's probably easier.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Holy Frick long!