Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Addiction

Gaming Addiction

I heard this from a movie trailer, Stay Alive, I think: "There are 100 million gamers in the US, one fourth of them are addicted."

I've tried, halfheartedly, to get into some of the more complex games but have always quit pretty quickly; the games wouldn't play after installation, etc., etc. Now I just kill time with the a few of the simple games like centipede and pinball.

I do wonder though, how many of the CCC are playing and how much of their time is being devoted to gameplay; how many consider themselves addicted or close to addicted? How many believe they were addicted at one time?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Juke

I've been mildly addicted to about 4 games in the past. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, Halo 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I mean I would pick up and play whenever I could, get up at 6am on Saturday to get some hours in before I had to do stuff, play bleary-eyed until 4am.

I barely play games any more because they're too complex for my hands. Bit of Sims 2 on the PC.

The games I got obsessed with always had a great filmic quality, strong scripts, characters, well-fleshed out worlds - they drew me in, like participating in a movie.

I read recently that the revenue generated by games has exceeded that of Hollywood for the first time. I'm not surprised - the two industries are consolidating, games will be an increasingly important media in the future.

Games like Gears of War on Xbox 360 look incredible. Very atmospheric. I could become addicted to that.

I want my hands back!

Halo 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65wUV6XlUM

MGS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4_ErTqn94

Zelda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6nxU_d6iWY

Gears of War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnsjDDnLck
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I have this saying...so many games, so little time. That said, it is easy to get sucked into a game and play for hours on end, sometimes I kinda wish I had more time to play. I can remember in the past where I was in between jobs and the day would be spent playing a game, and those were some rather crude games by today's standards as well. I can imagine how today's games could attract all one's attention.

Oh yeah, one last thing...if they are currently addicted, do you think they will be taking the time to come to CC, read your post, and reply?

TIGER WOODS 07 nuff said cya lol

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs
    TIGER WOODS 07 nuff said cya lol
    Hi Air Ohs,

Do you play online?

I've got the Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions '04, '05 and '06 installed. I guess I'll have to spring for '07 pretty soon but they're all so much alike that I'm not in any great hurry.

Is there anything in particular that stands out in '07 from the earlier releases (if you know) that makes it worth buying? Except that you need more of a monster computer to max out all the Options in an e-golf game!

The latest nVidia driver suite finally allows me to play '04 in SLI mode. But V-sync still needs to be turned or forced off or the Swing Gauge (I'm a 3-Clicker) will stutter.

Have you tried any of the third party add-on courses from the Course Downloads website yet? They already have 54 new courses there for '07. Some are "real" courses and other are "fantasy" courses. No one has written Augusta for '07 yet but they have for '04, '05 and '06. There are hundreds of courses written (architeched) for each of the earlier Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions.

I really like the Nicklaus North Golf Course for '06. The scenery is great and it plays well. I think I have it for '05 too. Not available for '07, at least yet.

The CLSetup program makes installing the necessary "library" add-ons and courses easy. Click on the "Tiger Woods Course and library installer" to download it. You need to install different library add-ons like bridges, clubhouses and pin flags etc. for the different courses. Then you add the golf course last. You need the correct version of CLSetup for the particular version or year of Tiger Woods PGA Tour.

Downloads:

CLSetup v1.0 for Tiger Woods 07
    CLSetup v1.0d for Tiger Woods 06
    CLSetup v1.0 for Tiger Woods 2005
    CLSetup v1.2b for Tiger Woods 2004
    CLSetup v1.5 for Tiger Woods 2003

Fore! That's transmemberfied!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi Air Ohs,

Do you play online?

I've got the Tiger Woods PGA Tour versions '04, '05 and '06 installed. I guess I'll have to spring for '07 pretty soon but they're all so much alike that I'm not in any great hurry.
    Bob.
    Bob and Air Ohs, does this mean that your're both addicted? Or that, in you opinions, you're close to addicted?

I ask this next prefacing it with the admission that I'm addicted to CC: if you had to give up either gaming or participation in the CCC, which would it be?

Jukester (only for the Christmas season)
    J.B.S.Haldane

maybe some are just addicted to flax seed i was addicted to checkers,,never got into the nintendo stuff online,,used to spend hours searching for new programs checker cheat's used to beat me with, i would download pragram & practice against them until i could draw or beat them. but then hackers started taking my points even when they were losing, kind of lost interest.

intetresting the checkers game even with all the super computers out has not been perfected, while the supposedly more sophisticated chess game was perfected back in the 80's. havnt played chess in several years because it screws with checker's strategy but im up for a challenge in checkers or chess anytime

and theres one person here i really want to give a few dominoe lessons

omg.... I was so bad that I would miss work "sick" to play. that was 10 years ago all text based on a dialup connection. I don't play now because the gaming is so attractive to me.

My son and hubby play Neverwinter Nights and Battlefield and are trying to get me to play. I've watched Boog play from a safe distance and know just sitting in front of that screen would get me sucked right back in again.

Jadis, finally, what sniffs out an honest answer.
    J.B.S.Haldane