Thread: Assistive Technology in Florida

Assistive Technology in Florida

Does anyone know of a place that does assessments in Orlando, Florida? I know of a mid-to-high level Quad, who will need an assistive technology evaluation in the Orlando, Florida area.

It is my opinion that he will now need the use a computer, a way to manipulate the curser (trackball), a way to input text (Dragon, head mouse or word prediction) and adjustable desk, just to start off.

Chances are that he should go through Florida’s DVR, but I was asked to get the ball rolling, so he may have a head start.

I thought putting this on the computer forum might be best if not could a moderator put it in the best possible forum?
    Dave H

Dave-
    Have him call Brenda Randall (407) 852-2740...She's with Orlando Regional Med Center's Outpatient Visiting Nurses' ASSN...and does most if not ALL patient co-ordination and A LOT of community rescource consultations. She's a wonderful person and rescource for this kind of information. I'm sure if she doesn't already know exactly who to call, she'll get the information for you...

I suspect that your friend also needs to contact the Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program(BSCIP) if he hasn't already done so as they are responsible for assisting in funding things like this as well...Is this person you know newly injured? If so, BSCIP SHOULD be contacting him soon to assess what they will need and help pay for...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I thank you for your quick reply, and yes, you are right it is for someone who is newly injured. His family asked me to do them a favor, unfortunately I have just found out that he doesn't know about his possible relocation yet.

That said, it's making me curious about that part of Florida since I do have friends down in Orlando. So I may even look around to try and get away from these New York snowstorms.
    Dave H

Dave-
    Where is he doing rehab at? I did my rehab in the Orlando area and can say from first hand experience that the rehab there is not the greatest. HOWEVER, as I said, Brenda is a great rescource and she co-ordinates everything for a lot of people after they've been discharged from the rehab. Being that he's newly injured, BSCIP should be contacting him/his family in the very near future as they're mandated by law to contact/evaluate/assist him & pay for things he needs. He WILL have to fight with them however as the caseworkers tend to not follow through with things or not know what they're doing....It's a good program in concept, but sometimes not so much in execution.....You really have to fight for what you're entitled to with it...

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to get the family in direct contact with me. I live about 1 1/2 hrs outside Orlando now and am back in town at least once a month if not 2-3 times....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......