Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disability horse saddle

Disability horse saddle

Does anyone know where I can get a horse saddle made that has a high back and seat belt? I found one place on the internet but it's very expensive. If anyone knows a place, I would really appreciate it.
    Amber

I'd too love to know! Amber, where on the Internet did you find a place?

.....grayscustomsaddlery.com.....they make them, i dealt with them pre-injury for standard tack, they're good people
    Last edited by justadildo; 12-18-2006 at 12:43 AM.

i got mine from randy byrd. from tx he is a para who teamropes.and in the 90 was a prca rodeo act. my saddle cost 2500.00. it has high back and a 12 inch band around my middle.i don/t have his web site.also micheal who purina sponsors might be able to get a saddle he is a para

You will probally have to get it customed made. Many saddles do not come with seatbelts, but if the horse spooks, you will be unable to get off quickly. Here's a link to a roping saddle:http://www.statelinetack.com/global/...N=2050384&Ne=2 It has a higher cantel compared to dressage saddle's. It also has a horn in the front, so you have some extra stablity.

i will be traveling to central america soon where i would like to have a local tack shop build me a saddle.

does anyone have any detailed photos of a saddle good for a high para with strength?

how are the legs maintained in position?

the sites above were hard to find photos on
    thanks
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

on my saddle my feet are strapped in.

email me vjls@aol.com with disability horse saddle i will email you my pic

It's not safe to be constrained to the saddle w/ a seatbelt b/c if a horse falls to the side or on you, you will not be able to get out of the way fast enough. If you are looking to improve your balance and seat, I would recommend riding bareback with a valuting circingle. The bareback pad is not slippery like an english saddle. The circingle can also help you find your balance without worrying about slipping or falling. Strapping your feet to the strrups is also a bad idea b/c if you fall or get bucked off, your body will be on the floor while your foot is still strapped in. I would recommend a peacock strrup. This sturrup has a quick realise band so you can get your foot out in time. If you have a lot of spasicity and you cannot use these sturrups, I suggest that you shouldn't use them at all ( I never use sturrups b/c my feet do not stay in them).

so you are saying that with the grab handle in front and a comfortable saddle that a SCI with good strength and no spasms should be able to ride at a walk. what about a trot or faster? my horse is slow anyway and the trail he could do blindfolded i bet. i guess i will just have to get on and try. i might wear my old moto helmet at first. haha
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

When I was first injured back in the day; '73. An old special effects person brought out an old roping saddle, he used in the '30's and '40's westerns, for me to try. It worked fine, but it just wasn't the same and my balance was weak. I was so new to sci that being around anything to do with "special equipment" was still embarrassing to me.

The sentiment was that SCI's shouldn't ride cause we couldn't feel if our legs were being chaffed or not. I didn't want to take the chance and never rode again. Back then we were always discouraged to try something out of the ordinary; today,thankfully we are enouraged to try.

The roping saddle has a high back and sturdy pommel. So is an option.