Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Fish

Frozen Fish

How long should it take to defrost a five pound box of fish in the microwave?

Reason I'm posting about it is I've got one now I'm trying to get just defrosted enough to break a few pounds free so I can cook them later and return the rest to the freezer.

Setup: I enjoy confounding supermarket staff (what, me) with questions, especially when what I'm askin about is something I shouldn't have to. On my last trip to Albertsons I found some five pound boxes of whiting in a freezer w/o a price anywhere. Round a corner there was a two or three pound box of frozen ravioli, also w/o pricing.

So I hailed a red-vested staff girl and asked her about the priceless items. She went off to investigate and, returning some five minutes later, informed me that the fish "wouldn't scan" so "Juan" said they were priced at $5.00 a box. The raviolis were an OK deal but I wasn't looking. But the whiting, at a buck a pound and undoubtedly "wild caught", seemed a good enough deal that I got two boxes at that price. So now I've got whiting. And it's frozen. And I'm looking for an opinion from anyone about how long it'll take to defrost it, per box.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

should'nt defrost and refreeze fish or chicken, especially in microwave as mw actually partially cooks (even though it says defrost its cooking, just at low power) promotes bacterial bad stuff...if you have to thaw it all, cook it all and freeze uneaten portion

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    should'nt defrost and refreeze fish or chicken, especially in microwave as mw actually partially cooks (even though it says defrost its cooking, just at low power) promotes bacterial bad stuff...if you have to thaw it all, cook it all and freeze uneaten portion
    I've never heard that using the mw, to defrost fish to the point where it's still solid but you can pull it apart, promotes bacterial "bad stuff". Can you link a source for this info.?
    J.B.S.Haldane

I'm not a fish eater/preparer much to David's chagrin ...

But how about running under cold water to force apart?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

After a half hour in the mw and the block still frozen, I left it in the bathroom sink (colder room). I came back hours later and found it just defrosted to the point where I could pull off three of the whiting. So I did.

The rest of the block is in the freezer again and the 3 whiting I removed are continuing to defrost in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know the outcome; from the hospital if justa is right. As I've just recovered from the stomach flue I should be ripe for a case of the sasparilla.

Juke
    J.B.S.Haldane

No, not Steve and fish again!

I woulda just run the block of fish under cool or cold water until I was able to pull off what I wanted. And put the rest of the fish back in the freezer wrapped in aluminum foil or Saran wrap.... or something that you could "squeeze" the air out of. And wrap it again in a large freezer ziplock bag or two.

Warning Will Rogers, Warning Will Rogers.... cook the fish well or face the consequences.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

power saw or electric knife, cut a chunk off frozen, out the rest back in freezer.
    not pretty but it works
    cauda equina

I'd be running the fish block under cold water, and in the future, separating the fish into individual cooking size portions in ziplock bags before freezing. In fact, I'd almost be inclined to pull apart the fish in cold water and refreeze them,
    Daniel

I'm with Dan. Cold h2o those suckers, pull apart under cold water. When refreezing, place indivual fish on a non-stick baking sheet and freeze. When individual fish are frozen, place all in an airtight zipper baggie. You'll be able to have individual fish without the fruiting around with a giant frozen fish block.

This works for chicken, too. I flash freeze fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Voila!

I went with pan frying the whiting/hake and gave the three fish seven minutes to a side, which turned out to be a bit too much for some/part of them. Strangely, the largest fish came out the most cooked. Tasting it, I was surprised; it's firm fleshed and mild but pleasant tasting.

So I pulled the flesh from the bones and made a hake sandwich of it. Honey wheat bread, mayo, sweet pickles, tomato and organic lettuce. From frozen to fried and eaten in a sandwich, and at a dollar a pound. And as weird as it seems to some at CC, the biggest plus for me is the knowledge that the protein I ate didn't come from tortured animals.

Bob, I know you're just funnin me and I actually enjoy it but here's a paradox: you're a nicer guy than I and no question about it, but when it comes to considering what price in suffering comes with the meat in your diet, you don't have a clue.

Juke

P.S. I looked up and will be trying a recipie for Oriental Fish Balls, that looks fairly easy and tasty.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 12-19-2006 at 02:42 AM.
    J.B.S.Haldane