Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C5 incomplete

C5 incomplete

hello - I recently found this site, it should be prescribed for new patients and their families. I fractured my C5 in a shallow pool and subsequently drowned. I was resuscitated and woke up two weeks later with collapsed lungs, a tube in my neck and all the fun that comes with a spinal cord injury. Long story short, I spent a month in the IC and two months in rehab. In that time, I was upgraded from ASIA B to ASIA C. Four months out, I've regained substantial use of my left hand, my left toes wiggle, ankle rotates, I can flex my quad and kick my leg out, can rotate my hip. My right side is slow to wake up, but the toes slightly wiggle, hip moves a bit in my right fingers curl with no strength. My whole body seems to wake up on a weekly basis. Every day I visualize, exercise, pray, try to move, attend rehab etc., but have the common fear that the recovery will stop short of walking. I can't read enough success stories, but draw encouragement from them and appreciate those who have posted thiers. It breaks my heart every time someone posts with a new injury, or has a family member newly learning to cope with this. I've gone through every common emotion, from wanting to die and extreme frustration to accepting that in life, there is no entitlement and you have to play the cards you're dealt. Anyways, I'd love to be able to share my experiences with people just starting out, please feel free to e-mail me or ask!

Alpentalic, it is described as a forum for PEOPLE with spinal cord injury, their friends and family. You are not a patient if you aren't sick or in the hospital. Having a disability does not make you a patient.

Anyway, welcome to our forums. We are glad you found us, but not glad that you had to!

We would love to have you share with other people, as well as learn from those who have gone before you on this journey.

You are still newly injured (we consider that for at least the first year) and still have time to get more return (at least 2 years). Are you getting therapy? Can you get into (and pay for) one of the intensive post-rehab exercise programs? You sound like you are well on your way to eventually being ASIA D, and have a lot of potential to use your return. Thanks for sharing.

(KLD)

*edited
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Alpentalic, it is described as a forum for PEOPLE with spinal cord injury, their friends and family. You are not a patient if you aren't sick or in the hospital. Having a disability does not make you a patient.
    did I imply I was a patient or writing to pets? I just meant the site would have been nice to have access to when I was in the hospital. Yes, I'm aware being disabled does not a patient make...

I'm currently getting 2 sessions each of PT/OT a week at the University. I use the electric stim bike in PT and honestly don't accomplish much more in OT than I do at home...usually stretching and e-stim. I would love to hear what has worked for people and recovering function. It's a constant weight on my mind wondering if I'm doing enough, especially with a looming '2 year' deadline.
    Last edited by alpentalic; 12-18-2006 at 03:01 AM.

i wish i had known about cc when i was a patient also alpen, it would have definitely been a great prescription for me also and surely would've helped speed my recovery......welcome, sorry you had to find us but glad you did find us

Yes, why the heck don't ALL rehabs refer their SCI'd people to Carecure? I've learned as much or more from reading here than from my wife's physiatrist or rehab nurses. I've mentioned CC to the physiatrist a couple of times; she expresses mild interest, then forgets about it.
    Alpentalic, things sound very encouraging for you. I hope your bits & pieces never stop waking up!
    - Richard

alpen,

You are still very fresh and have great return already. The fact that you can do so much in such a short time is great and is very encouraging for your future recovery. Doctors like to be negative, but from what you told us you have alot of return in only 4 months.

I had slight quad movement, i hand ankle movment, and i'm not even sure if i had any hipflexor on my right side. I had no movmeent at all on my left and the rehab i was at put a kafo on me, and an afo on my right side and put me up in a walker and I went from there. I was mainly walking with my upper body but being upright helped me feel normal again and was encouraging.

You should definatley keep workingon what you got and talk to your PT's about getting you braces and getting you out of the chair and brace walking.
    HOw are your tricepts? I'm not sure at c5 if you have them or not, they do have adaptable walkers that don't require tricepts so much but need sholder muscles.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 12-18-2006 at 02:32 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Alpen,

Good on you for asking questions and for finding this site. Good to hear that you have a bike and that you are evpercising!

thanks, the electric bike (or whatever it's called) is actually at rehab. It must deliver quite a dose of current, my legs go crazy with chaotic spasms after I use it. It seems to be helping though, my left leg especially is gaining strength week by week. My right side is impacted harder and slower to come back, but my right toes are getting that wiggle, which is how the left started so I'm hopeful. I'm investing in a gliding standing frame, which I'm excited to get.

Heres my story, although I wrote it 2 years ago and have improved since.

http://www.spinal.co.uk/community/de...d=351&catid=92

All the best.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Very interesting and encouraging story Johnny C. Alot of life experiences in such a short time, some good, some not so good, but you seem to have kept a good positive attitude through it all. Best wishes!

Alpentalic your story sound quite amazing in itself! Both your incidence and Johnny C.'s incidence remind me of a similar book I read Joni. This book is a true story about the life a young girl who was injured in a diving accident as teen and her tryumphs and told about all the obsticles she had to over come. A friend gave me this book to read after I returned from the hospital, when I incured a TBI (Tramatic Brain Injury). Although a TBI and an SCI are different, they are very similar in the way that everyday life becomes more difficult, there are many adaptations that have to be made to make everyday life livable and depending on the severity or level of injury is the deciding factor in what you can do and what adaptaions need to be implimented to make life easier. Good luck to everyone out there and keep striving for the best, you will never know what you can indure, mind and/or body unless you push yourself!