Thread: Hand Control Failure

Hand Control Failure

Hi boys & girls! Has anyone experienced hand control failure of any kind while driving which lead to a major accident? If you have would you please share your story and what happen after the smoked cleared.

I was thinking this exact same thing as I was getting into my car today and noticed that mine were a little loose.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Here's an added 2 cents to my posting. For all you who do drive and use hand controls be sure to have them serviced by true professionals who know what they are doing. I totaled my van and broke my leg cause my hand control came apart.

Fortunately I didn't crash but when I first got my hand controls I did have a couple of scares. For some reason the ball joint conecting to the accelerator was a bit loose thus flipping into a postion which basically put the pedal to the floor at inappropriate moments.The model of car I drive has a pretty responsive v6 engine and when it would start going flat out through no choice of my own it things got pretty hairy.

Fortunately I didn't crash but when I first got my hand controls I did have a couple of scares. For some reason the ball joint conecting to the accelerator was a bit loose thus flipping into a postion which basically put the pedal to the floor at inappropriate moments.The model of car I drive has a pretty responsive v6 engine and when it would start going flat out through no choice of my own things got pretty hairy.

With Monarchs, the tech cut the accelerator rod too short. My husband was driving (not using the hand controls). He accelerated, the rod slipped out of its retaining tube and got stuck against it, jamming the accelerator open. When he attempted to stop at a red light, he rear-ended the car in front of him (at low speed, since by then he had shut off the ignition).

The installer did not admit liability (and no legal action was taken by anyone), but he did send a tech to my workplace the next day to fix it in the parking lot.

Am I reading this right, Monarchs are on a slip joint for the accelerator? Interesting design, I hope its thick enough just in case it gets bent (or cut too short). MPD's are all aircraft joints and solid rods, not much chance of those things goofing up.

I'm in the camp of if you want it done right, do it yourself. I think my install of my current controls are 100% cleaner than the professional job I had done on my last car.

Assuming that a slip joint is a smaller diameter tube inside a larger diameter tube, then yes.