Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tendon Lengthening

Tendon Lengthening

My boyfriend Dave is going to have his Tendons lengthened in his calfs.
    Has anyone had this done?
    If so what were your results?
    Thanks ANTY
    Be always determined in Life and Love

Quote Originally Posted by davesgirl aka anty
    My boyfriend Dave is going to have his Tendons lengthened in his calfs.
    Has anyone had this done?
    If so what were your results?
    Thanks ANTY
    Had mine lengthened in 2001 on left leg. It helped lessen contractures/tightness. This was done in conjunction with repair of nasty breaks and insertion screws in my lower leg and ankle after a gravity versus ME contest. Obviously gravity won. Again.

If you have specific questions, hit me up.

Hope the lengthening is helpful to him.

Thanks maryellen He is having both legs done on the same day. He has MD he walks with braces up to his knees. They finally figured out what was causing his pain. I was just wondering how long is healing process and was it painful after done. I should of went with him to ask questions you know men they never ask The DR said 2 weeks he thinks to put his braces back on. I am glad it helped you anty

I had my Achilles tendon lengthened on my right leg almost 2 years ago due to contracture from excessive tone. I wear AFOs and can walk some with forearm crutches. Wore a cast for 6 weeks. The recovery was slow. If you know anyone who's torn the Achilles tendon, it's a long recovery process. I still haven't regained the strength I had before surgery, but my foot is much more manageable. It no longer fights the AFO. I didn't have any pain to speak of, but I don't have much feeling in my lower legs. My left foot has the same problem. I'm trying botox first to try to control the tone, although the contracture of my Achilles tendon won't allow my foot to go much past neutral. Still, it's much less invasive than surgery.
    Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    ~ Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by davesgirl aka anty
    Thanks maryellen He is having both legs done on the same day. He has MD he walks with braces up to his knees. They finally figured out what was causing his pain. I was just wondering how long is healing process and was it painful after done. I should of went with him to ask questions you know men they never ask The DR said 2 weeks he thinks to put his braces back on. I am glad it helped you anty
    Hey, Anty,

I was in the hospital for a week afterwards and released from my doctor a couple of months later. As for pain, I think the screws placed in my ankle and leg caused more problems for my body than the lengthening.

How is he with use of his hands/arms? If he's having both done at once, it seems a chair may be the way he'll be mobile until the tendons have healed enough for him to walk with crutches again.

The cerebral palsy, not the SCI, was the over-riding factor in me needing the lengthening. My right leg wasn't having the problems (in addition to broken bones) my left was.

As for questions the two of you may have for the doctor pre-op, is it possible to schedule another appointment with his physician or to talk to his nurse together? I found my doc's nurse more helpful in answering my myriad of questions pre and post-op than the doctor.

One thing I learned during the experience was the need for a physiatrist, not just an orthopod here, a neurosurgeon there or a neurologist for this or that. An orthopod did my lengthening, but he wasn't incredibly familiar with CP or SCI ortho procedures. (More of a sports med type). In retrospect, I wish I'd had an ortho who worked in conjunction with a physiatrist.

The physiatrist I have was acquired during the rehab post-surg.

I hope Dave's surgery goes well. The best to you both.

**Hugs**
    MaryEllen

Thank you for the replys. The surgery is going to be jan. 3rd. His hands are fine he has a jazzy for long walks he will be using that until he able to walk with just his braces. I will let you know how everything goes thanks anty

Don't forget the physical therapy and exercises required after the surgery.
    It is a fix but not a quick one. You might want to get that information also & how you can help him with the rehabilitation after wards.

See if they gave him any instrucitons or they should will after the surgery.

CWO

Thank you CWO ANTY

Well 1 leg was done. It went very well. He had to wear a cast for 2 weeks and stay off it. That was the hardest part. Really no pain only when they removed the stiches for 1 day he was in pain. He walked on the leg with his brace and all is great he can stretch his leg out straight and bend his ankle up towards him. He is going back for the second leg in FEB.

Glad to hear things went well for Dave, Anty.

Here's to the same good results and quick recovery for him in February.