Thread: IMS Van air bag suspension problem

IMS Van air bag suspension problem

I hope someone has had experience with this and can give me some insight. I have a '95 Plymouth Grand Voyager IMS conversion done in Farmington NM. These conversions used the air bag (bladder) rear suspension to raise and lower the back end. I need to replace both air bags but I understand they are no longer being made. Someone suggested that I could use a similar type bag used in big rigs and have them retro-fitted but I don't know where to start nor whom to call. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I used to have the Chrysler Town & Country 91 and a few other IMS vans. My Town & Country I had put a lot of stereo equipment, since I am a big music buff and I competed on the car stereo circuit for a while. I had taken out the back seat and put in 8 15" Rockford Fosgate sub woofers. 9 amplifiers, 4 batteries, 3 audio processors, plus the spare tire. , All in the back. So I had a problem with the airbags, I kept blowing them. Because back in the early 90s. They didn't have the kind of airbags like to have now. Now what you need to get Ride Rite from Firestone, or Airride Technologies. Check out this site; also just do a search for airbag suspension. Any custom shop around your area should give you some info also.

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part_f.../categoryid/30

A few years ago, IMS bought out Braun but they still kept the name. Which at that time they change the way kneel systems were back space. They went from the conventional airbags to having get one actuator that runs the kneel system and the ramp. They have a chain brought in from the actuator down to the axle frame. , Which only the right side of the van goes down. The problem I have with mine, compared to the airbags, it is by the time the ramp is down all the way the kneel system is still going down. So by the time I get out of van and kneel system is still going down, is the same way when getting in the van. IMHO, I believe the airbag system works better. It's much faster, and it also allows the van go down further it also gives a much smoother ride. I'm going to go back to the airbag system real soon.

So that's what I would check out, and I believe that would work for you.
    Cripp
    Last edited by crppled007; 05-12-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Cripp for your detailed description. This helps me tremendously!

killpack