Thread: Quadriplegic doctor treats patients with empathy at Novi rehab institute

Quadriplegic doctor treats patients with empathy at Novi rehab institute

Quadriplegic doctor treats patients with empathy at Novi rehab institute

Life for James Rudolph of Howell changed in a flash when a motorcycle crash in 2003 injured his spinal cord.

Damage to the bundle of nerves that control his body movements left Rudolph, now 25, paralyzed -- and stunned by the challenge of facing life in a wheelchair.
    But he has a doctor with rare empathy. Dr. Edward Nieshoff has a spinal cord injury, too.

No one is better at showing the possibilities for people with spinal cord injuries than Nieshoff, a Farmington Hills resident. He's both a prominent scientist and the father of twin baby boys.

Nominated in October for a national award, Nieshoff divides his efforts between seeking a cure and caring for patients like Rudolph. Last week, their wheelchairs were side by side in Novi, at the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan clinic on 12 Mile, just east of Twelve Oaks Mall.

"I'm doing pretty well," said Rudolph, explaining he hasn't let his injury stop him from rebuilding a vintage Mustang. That hobby gets a nod from his sports car-loving doctor.

"He knows the Nieshoff System: a car, a job and then a girlfriend," quipped the chuckling doctor, getting a grin from his patient.

more:

http://www.thescizone.com/news/artic...-System/1.html

Hey, that's my doctor!! He is a great guy to go through this hard transition in life. He is a straight shooter who has kept me looking forward not backword.
    Maybe next year Doc.

The articles tone was a little patronizing (he speaks in complete sentences...huh?) but I like that the doc doesn't see a conflict between wanting to improve his condition and enjoying life as it is.