View Poll Results: Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for SCI’d people?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

3 8.11%
  • No, other mechanisms should be available to choose not to work

23 62.16%
  • Does the current systems force some SCI’d to work?

16 43.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for SCI’d people?

Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for SCI’d people?

Time for a new poll.

Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for spinal cord injured people (or for that matter any disabled person)? Will a regular 9-5 job always be the best option or will not working be the best option if one has the economy to choose not to work? Maybe it’s not as black and white like this either, are there optional solutions like part time working that could be a good solution in-between here and so on, and if? Are such programs satisfactory as they are now?

With other mechanisms I mean - Should SCI’d people have the option of a good economy (which is often not the case) to choose not to work say from much better disability pensions and insurance programs than it seems to be the case as of now?

With “Does the current systems force some SCI’d to work” I mean – Does the current system force some SCI’d to work which in fact could have been better off not working due to health issues. I also know the idea by governments to have lower income from basic disability pensions (welfare) than the average industrial worker income is to have an incitement to get as many as possible into the work force. But is that fair for the ones that can’t work? Should those disability pension or insurance programs be much better with a higher income due to this?

Be aware, it’s a public poll. Multiple choices are also possible. And please back-up your vote by comments in posts below to get a good discussion out of this. Both nice and angry comments are also welcomed regardless your stand on this issue.

My personal stand on this is that current systems force some SCI’d people to work that could have been better off not working due to health issues if things like disability pensions “which is a human right” (welfare as some call it) and insurance programs was better and more adapted for those of us to be able to choose not to work. Like the case is now many places it seems to me that there is no real choice or an option for some of us when it comes to this and thereby some programs/legislations need to be revised or adjusted to create a safety net for those as well. For those that can work, fine.

SCI-Nurse. Why do you say always? I know you are obliged sort of due to your position to say that but will not that leave some out of this and create more problems for some? As for a general statement I can understand your vote, but if one goes into each individual’s situation would not such a stand be to general? Could you please comment some of this? It would have been appreciated as for having other views on the topic. I also support the idea that all should work but would not such an general idea overshadow the ones that can’t and make it worse for them while in fact more efforts should have been put in place to look at their overall situation, that’s my question, sort of – a bit difficult to explain. Thanks.
    Last edited by Leif; 12-15-2006 at 11:17 AM.

"Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for people? "

That is the way I read this question.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorious
    "Is working 9-5 jobs always the best solution for people? "

That is the way I read this question.
    Fair enough and I understand, but is it always the best solution (regardless if one include SCI or not)? Like it is now it might be, but is that a good thing, to have it like it is, for all?
    Last edited by Leif; 12-15-2006 at 11:27 AM.

I dont think it is always the best solution. I think it depends on the person and the circumstances of ones life.

Some people are born/raised with good work ethic which can affect how one views working. Some AB's dont have good work ethic.

I think for someone with Spinal Cord Injury, it is necessary to evaluate the medical needs in order to determine what is best for that person. Some people deal with bowel/bladder issues better than others. Some people just deal with the whole life changing situation better in general.

I think each person has to look at the benefits of working full time verses the benefits of not working. I would be able to work part time right now but due to my previous management experience, it is hard to convince someone in a doctors office why you need to work part time as opposed to working as a full time director of medical records (which is the job I left). I have not been able to find part time employment.

There are alot of things that affect the decision to work or not. So it is not always a black/white or yes/no answer.

I think you need to do what works best for you and no one knows that but the individual.

I will say this though....I was healthier at my job than here at home. So I think one's mental status affects their health. I hate being here at home.

Alas I will continue to submit applications/resumes and if nothing part time opens, then in June I will find a full time position in another area.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have been working a "real" job for well over a year and am glad I decided to work a "real" job. Since I started working in Sept. 05 I have received 3 raises and 1 promotion.
    I am lucky in that I have a house and 90 acres which are paid for and I can make extra money from so that if I didnt want to work I could get by without it, So now you ask, why work? Well for me it just made me feel more "normal" and the full benefits was one big reason I decided to do it.

Another reason was that for a person to get SS today all they have to do is prove they couldnt pay attention in school and they get handed a SS check every month...I didnt like being grouped with those low lifes.

So I guess the bottom line is if you can do it and it makes you feel better than by all means get a job but if you are sci and its a major burden then don't

Another perk about working is paid vacation time, today I'm using a vacation day so right now I'm getting paid 13 bucks an hour to type this and I feel pretty good about that.

Jack
    "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

I don't like any of those answers so I didn't choose.

Part-time won't work for most, I would think, unless you have a settlement or some other source of income.

The problem is definition of disability .. which can become a grey area .. because as soon as there's higher pensions/benefits, everyone will suddenly claim that they're disabled!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    I will say this though....I was healthier at my job than here at home. So I think one's mental status affects their health. I hate being here at home.
    That was EXACTLY me when I went off work for sickness a few years ago .. and I was only off for three months. I could have take my life I was so depressed ... but that's who I am as an individual. Others can stay home and be fine, more power to them.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    That was EXACTLY me when I went off work for sickness a few years ago .. and I was only off for three months. I could have take my life I was so depressed ... but that's who I am as an individual. Others can stay home and be fine, more power to them.
    Good point and a very valid one I would say, but I didn’t necessarily mean to say to stay at home by not working. There could be other options other than that if one had the choice i.e. you just driving around and paint landscape paintings or whatever one could be happy about. I’m more interested about the systems as such, not me personally as to say but are the system like many industrial countries (as for many other countries that will be another discussion) now have a good system for those who can’t have ordinary 9-5 jobs? I also understand some of Jack’s comments above here very well like;

Quote Originally Posted by jack9166
    Another reason was that for a person to get SS today all they have to do is prove they couldnt pay attention in school and they get handed a SS check every month...I didnt like being grouped with those low lifes.
    I am happy for you Jack (great, keep going) and good points in your post above, but like the quote here - t
    here will always be folks that will trick a system due to laziness as you indicate here I think, but would that alone be a reason good enough for not having such programs or to improve them? I think and feel such programs should be improved and other means should be put in place to avoid people not needing them to take advantages of such programs. Good to see discussions on this because I think they are valid, especially to learn as for a better understanding for the systems when it comes to some that don’t have the abilities and the luxury to choose here in life.

Don’t misunderstand me here. I will of course advocate in general to work; as a duty we have, a human right and also to have a social network but that’s not my point. My point is that I don’t feel a safety net is in place good enough for those of us who can’t and to give those of us a better choice and an option should also be on the agenda, and here I don't think the mantra that says one has to work whatever your health conditions are helps. I think this duty and rights goes both ways, both from the individual but also from the society as a whole when it comes to this. And in all this I feel some individuals are left out in the cold as for having a better life if some of us had more options. And here again I feel the general mantra that one should work whatever the human cost is, are not helping too much for some.

I know it’s a touchy topic, but that alone should be a reason good enough to discuss it if one could learn some from it. Learn and understand from both sides and also the ones in the middle I mean.

(Lynnifer, sorry for not having enough poll options, but the poll was more for starting a discussion on the topic, no big deal)

It’s also difficult to explain this topic just by a few paragraphs but I feel some programs is not as good as one could have wanted them to be and thereby it could be considered a lie that all should work ordinary 9-5 jobs.
    Last edited by Leif; 12-15-2006 at 02:04 PM.