Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geron to raise $40million selling common stock

Geron to raise $40million selling common stock

http://www.geron.com/pressview.asp?id=786

“In 2007, we will fund multiple trials of our telomerase inhibitor drug, GRN163L, and we anticipate initiating a clinical trial for our cancer vaccine,” said David Greenwood, Geron’s executive vice president and chief financial officer. “We are also on a path to a regulatory filing and clinical trial for TAT0002, our telomerase activator drug, for patients with HIV/AIDS. Finally, we expect to file an IND to treat spinal cord injury using therapeutic cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. We want to maintain a strong balance sheet as we progress to and through these and potentially other trials.”

They have four months on them to do this now if they’ll still stick to first quarter of 2007.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/a...m#Introduction

Once the IND is submitted, the sponsor must wait 30 calendar days before initiating any clinical trials. During this time, FDA has an opportunity to review the IND for safety to assure that research subjects will not be subjected to unreasonable risk.

Leif,

If indeed Geron files for the IND this month, raises the capital via the sale of stock, a purified scalable source of cells are ready for injection/implantation, clincal trial centers are established, and trained clinicians are ready, then this could happen in the first quarter of 2007.

Geron is a heavy hitter, a real player, so I would think they have laid the ground work and now only have the IND to file, but this is an assumption on my part.

We must keep in mind this is a phase I for acutes. If this trial follows normal protocol in the USA, it will take about 11 years to conclude.

If this SCI treatment as well as the other Geron derived products prove successful, they could easily become the next MicroSoft.

Geron

Let's wish them luck and support their efforts in any way we can. Acute treatments or not, if they are successful it will pave the way for more ESC trials hopefully for chronics.

Geron's oil machine is like a baby Donald Trump they are determined and are doing everything in their power to be on top. Acute's are first though. Tom Okarma will not accept NO for an answer...he's a mover and a shaker and hungry to win.

They see big dollars....and they are capitalizing ASAP.

However, the real winner is the chronic discovery because acute's become Chronics immediately.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 12-14-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Donald Trump (fish lips) gets things done. I recall the skating rink in NY was not operating and the city was concerned it would not open for the holiday season. They had only been able to get promises of the work being done much too late. Trump took the task on, an had the ice skating rink open in a matter of days.

There is much to be said about getting the job done.

Bottomline

Trump is not in the ice skating rink business. He didn't make it a life long project nor build into the process an intrastructure. He fixed the rink.

Sometimes I feel cures are being used to build life long careers, societies, and support labs in institutions. When the bottomline should be a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoke
    Donald Trump (fish lips) gets things done. I recall the skating rink in NY was not operating and the city was concerned it would not open for the holiday season. They had only been able to get promises of the work being done much too late. Trump took the task on, an had the ice skating rink open in a matter of days.

There is much to be said about getting the job done.

Bottomline

Trump is not in the ice skating rink business. He didn't make it a life long project nor build into the process an intrastructure. He fixed the rink.

Sometimes I feel cures are being used to build life long careers, societies, and support labs in institutions. When the bottomline should be a cure.
    Funny you should say this. One day I asked my inpatient therapist what he would do if they cured spinal cord injury. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and said, "Damn I haven't ever thought of that."
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
    Funny you should say this. One day I asked my inpatient therapist what he would do if they cured spinal cord injury. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and said, "Damn I haven't ever thought of that."
    I thought of the same thing in rehab, but then I realized that I was
    one of the two sci's out of 30-40 total patiants. The rest of them
    were amputees, head injuries, strokes, and so on.

There will always be a need for physical therapists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
    Then places like project walk will cash in. Muscles will have to be exercised, joints will need to be loosened. Even walking and balance will have to be relearned.

But as long as we give money and build the credibility of those on the slow path through building empires of useless programs project walk will also have to wait.

There are task finishers like Trump and there are those that want to build a whole huge un-necessary system and rather help themselves and their research industry than find a speedy cure. It is not so far fetched. Hwang (fraud cloning So. Korean researcher)looked in sci peoples eyes when he told them he would cure them and they held cult like candle vigils for him.

It is such a hard thing to see through because people want to have that hope. But, we must streamline the cure and not be taken in even by well meaning people that are not task finishers.
    Last edited by bigjoke; 12-15-2006 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/a...m#Introduction

Once the IND is submitted, the sponsor must wait 30 calendar days before initiating any clinical trials. During this time, FDA has an opportunity to review the IND for safety to assure that research subjects will not be subjected to unreasonable risk.

Leif,

If indeed Geron files for the IND this month, raises the capital via the sale of stock, a purified scalable source of cells are ready for injection/implantation, clincal trial centers are established, and trained clinicians are ready, then this could happen in the first quarter of 2007.

Geron is a heavy hitter, a real player, so I would think they have laid the ground work and now only have the IND to file, but this is an assumption on my part.

We must keep in mind this is a phase I for acutes. If this trial follows normal protocol in the USA, it will take about 11 years to conclude.

If this SCI treatment as well as the other Geron derived products prove successful, they could easily become the next MicroSoft.
    David. I think you could be right here as for the Microsoft comparison if this proves safety and improvements, it will also boost this kind of research and put SCI research in general high up on the agenda worldwide. By the way, I just spoke to one professor here right now, he called me about our current legislation ESCR process but he also mentioned Geron and also the research which this is based on, namely some of Hans Keirstead’s work. He said a team here is collaborating with Hans Keistead like I have mentioned before to you. This research team is headed by Professor Joel Glover and he suggested to me to take contact with Glover to discuss this. I will do so and like now I am the new editor of our national SCI magazine, thereby I will make an interview with Glover to have in the magazine, I will translate to English and post next year because our next magazine is not due for until April/March. That should not be a problem I guess, because I don’t believe the cure will be here in meantime