Thread: Promising spinal cord injury trial opens at Craig Hospital

Promising spinal cord injury trial opens at Craig Hospital

Promising spinal cord injury trial opens at Craig Hospital
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are they starting again the trials?

Thursday, December 14, 2006

by Mike Liguori Staff Writer

Craig Rehabilitation Hospital in Englewood, Colo., has become the first facility in North America to conduct a groundbreaking spinal cord injury clinical trial.

On Dec. 8, Craig and partner Proneuron Biotechnologies opened enrollment in FDA phase II trials of ProCord, an activated macrophage therapy for patients with acute complete spinal cord injury.

"We’re excited that we’ve expanded our core rehab and research emphasis into more basic research," said Kenny Hosack, Craig director of public relations. "We’re excited that we have a cell lab here now and that we’re going to be actively trying to find answers to how the spinal cord functions, how it’s hurt, how it tries to heal itself and what medical science can do to try to improve that process."

A company news release explained that following tissue injury, a type of white blood cell called a macrophage quickly starts to remove cell debris. These macrophages then start to secrete growth factors that promote a controlled inflammatory reaction to initiate the wound healing process.

more:

http://www.denvernursingstar.com/new...0&mode=current

This is interesting. I thought that Proneuron was down for the count because they had run out of money. A major donor had given money to establish a GMP laboratory to prepare the cells at Craig. I am glad that they are restarting the trials there.

Wise.

colorado?maybe they started to think serioulsy about clinical trials regarding sci after they sent one of their experts to defend a hospital from new mexico[unm]against victims like me.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 12-14-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    This is interesting. I thought that Proneuron was down for the count because they had run out of money. A major donor had given money to establish a GMP laboratory to prepare the cells at Craig. I am glad that they are restarting the trials there.

Wise.
    Kewl!

This didn't produce effective results years ago, why should it work now?

Anybody remember Melissa Holly? She's still as disabled as she was after she had this procedure performed.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 12-14-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Agree Shmecky

i was in the hospital @ craig when she was. And yes she is still a gimp in a chair. don't believe this one is gonna do much either.

c.

Wise which are your thoughts on this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    This didn't produce effective results years ago, why should it work now?

Anybody remember Melissa Holly? She's still as disabled as she was after she had this procedure performed.
    I agree but if I had said this I would have been blasted from here to eternity. Proneuron is a good company so I am glad that they received additional funding to complete the trials. The first round was to establish safety, this round will be to establish efficacy so maybe the results will be better.

I've seen 2 ppl that got Proneuron, and thought they had some function spared. Not sure what level Melissa's injury is, she looks like a para. JDR does too, but he has a quad injury.

Maybe they were both incomplete, hard to call a therapy given to brand new injuries.

Perhaps they will do better this time. It's been over 6 years now since Melissa had flow to Israel to have this procedure done. She was also not the most aggressive re-haber either- which no doubt had some effect on her overall outcome. Another thing to keep in mind w/Craig is that their whole business model is to care for and treat acute injuries. I don't think there will be much energy or thought for us chronic's with these studies. If I recall this treatment is something that needs to be done real close to the time of injury.