Thread: Edema

Edema

I am a c5 walking quad with quite a bit of CP. I take Neurontin,2400mg for it and as a result I have a lot of foot edema. I have tried several diuretics and have had no improvement. I also wear compression hose and that does not help much either. Between the burning in my feet, alloydnia and the edema, I am begining to have problems walking.

Do you have any suggestions/

mike

I'm going to ask Dr. Wise to take a look at your question, to see if he has any suggestions.

RAB

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

I'm going to ask Dr. Wise to take a look at your question, to see if he has any suggestions.

RAB
    I have learn that people with SCI should not take diuretics. So nobody here gets it and I have never taken it even if my feets are really big sometimes. Is it ok to take it then?

Diuretics need to be used cautiously in people with SCI depending on how they manage their bladders. For people to use intermittent cath, timed or triggered voiding or who just barely can make it the way they used to when they were able bodied, will be thrown for a loop, so to speak, with diuretics--leaking, needing extra caths and having accidents. People with indwelling catheters (urethral or suprapubic) do just fine with diuretics.

So they have to be sensitively prescribed by a provider who understands spinal cord injury.

RAB

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Diuretics need to be used cautiously in people with SCI depending on how they manage their bladders. For people to use intermittent cath, timed or triggered voiding or who just barely can make it the way they used to when they were able bodied, will be thrown for a loop, so to speak, with diuretics--leaking, needing extra caths and having accidents. People with indwelling catheters (urethral or suprapubic) do just fine with diuretics.

So they have to be sensitively prescribed by a provider who understands spinal cord injury.

RAB
    Thank you for the answer. I don't think I will take any, I do it on my own and I have enough leaking allready.

SCI Nurse. Has there been any further input on this from Dr Wise or others?

mike

i use a full length sequential pneumatic compression system. i wear them for about an hour while relaxing in bed watching tv. IMO, they are the only way to aggressively get the fluid out of ones legs. compression stockings and elevation are helpful but probably of little help with really severe edema.

with an md's note (esp a vascular md), most insurance companies will rent or purchase a unit. my carrier rented it then let me keep it; i've been using it for about 5 yrs and its really made a difference.