Thread: Help with neurogenic bowel

Banned

Help with neurogenic bowel

Hi,
    I really need some help. My hubby is a T-6 inc., we have tried every bowel program possible for him. The only way we can get any results is to just give him an old fashioned enema. It usually takes about 3 of these to make him feel he is emptied. I first use mineral oil, then 3 enema bags with warm water. He goes to the toilet to sit after every enema. We do this every Monday and Thursday. The problem is for the last 2 weeks or so, he has been feeling sick to his stomach, and has some stomach pain. I am wondering if we could have done any damage to him, by doing enemas. His physiatrist said about a year ago, that this would be ok, but he doesn't seem like he is really paying attention to much of my husbands care anyway. Any info would be appreciated.
    Mellyg

I doubt it if he has damage from the enemas. The problem with the nemas is that you get dependent on them and the bowels won't move without them. Has he trie dthe magic bulletand stool softeners? or th e mini enema or enemeez? Any change in the consistent of his stool? blood?

CWO

In addition to CWO's suggestions, I would suggest downloading and carefully reading the consumer version of the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine clinical practice guideline on bowel management:

Neurogenic Bowel: What you should know

(KLD)