Thread: Toe Sore Treatment

Toe Sore Treatment

Saw the Dr. today re my sore on my big toe. Well above my toe actually. Was perscribed very expensive antibiotics but not given much other advise.
    The actual round hole is about 1.5 cm in diameter, itwas red at first, then black, then hard and white and now greenish. There i about .5-1cm of redness around the wound. Am keeping all pressure off, rinsing daily with saline and applying polysporin and a bandaid.
    Would a wet saline gauze with mefix be better? or let it breathe?
    No wound care dr./nurse here.

Emi - this doesn't sound good.

Are these oral antibiotics you're taking? Do you happen to remember the name?

I think at this point, from your description, that you need more than a bandaid ... even just Johnson & Johnson dry gauze that you can buy at your local pharmacy. If your wound is greenish - I think that's cause for pseudomonas which is a damn resistant infection to get rid of - take it from me - especially in a location compromised of circulation by non-movement.

Don't let it get to the bone (feet are a terrible place to get a sore when it comes to osteomyelitis and potential). In another post you described several conditions at once -- your immune system might be compromised.

Please, please take care of yourself. Can your parents take Violet until Christmas while you get some rest, give these antibiotics a chance to work and recover?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I agree. You can try the slow debridement with the wet to dry gauze an sterile NS 2-3 times a day but I think you need an enzymatic debrider.

It sounds like you need an antibiotics. you don't want to get osteomylites in your bones.

CWO

Its Biaxin the the Dr. prescribed. He didn't seem very concerned. I see him again next Monday so I will ask him about enzymatic debridement.

sCINurse - you mean to alternate wet/dry gauze dressings 3x a day? What is NS? oh duh, nomal saline right? yes we are using those tiny pink irrigation saline packages so that they are always sterile.

The wound is shallower than it was and the diamter may be slightly less. Andthe redness is lighter red.

My mom is still working until the 22nnd and my dad until then too so they can't take violet.

Lyniffer - its thinking of your feet that freaks me out!

Why didn't I have these problems when i lived in a big city? I'm sure my Dr. here is a great GP but inexperienced in SCI issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    Lyniffer - its thinking of your feet that freaks me out!

Why didn't I have these problems when i lived in a big city? I'm sure my Dr. here is a great GP but inexperienced in SCI issues.
    Good! Take warning! lol

The crappy equation is: longer time in chair = bigger risk of pressure sores
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Clean the wound. Pnut some saline on the pad. Wwring it out till it is as dry as you can get it. Place it over the wound & leve it open to air until it dries-about 20-30 minutes. then slowly pull off. It should just take off a small part of the wound that is ready to come off. Then dress it as yu have been or leve open to air.
    A very slow type of debridement but you don't want to remove more becaus eof the changce of infection. Thi sis called a wet to dry dressing.

CWO