Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much will cost a 100%cure ?

how much will cost a 100%cure ?

how much will cost a 100%cure for sci in the future?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    There will never be a 100% return of function. The current state of SCI research is struggling to achieve 10%.

There is enourmous redundency within spinal cord circutry. Near normal function can occur with much less than 100%. But to be normal would require that you were never injured in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    right around $852 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    There will never be a 100% return of function. The current state of SCI research is struggling to achieve 10%.

There is enourmous redundency within spinal cord circutry. Near normal function can occur with much less than 100%. But to be normal would require that you were never injured in the first place.
    Why does that mean there can't be a complete return of function? if it doesn't require the entire cord to be repaired to regain function appearent 100% return should be possible at least from the the external point of view.

hmmm

By 100% return of function, we are implying that ones' sensation and motor function will be identical to the pre-injured state. That's not gonna happen...why? Because cutting the spinal cord is much like cutting a fiber cable. How to reconnect each fiber back the way it was originally cut?

But..once we have connections....then we have to re-learn how to innervate ...and also how to sense. What is neurogenic pain? Why doesn my injury change over time? I don't even hesitate to say that my cord is repairing over time. But how to make sense of this?

I know that I can continually improve motor function by periodic visits for EMG biofeedback. I can begin to gain control over my muscles. What level are you? Were your muscles initially denervated? were they flacid? Have you seen any change in this state since you were hurt? It is commonly known that peripheral nerves repair. If so, have you tried lately with an FES unit?

I am fully prepared to spend every day of the rest of my life recovering from my injury...My bet is that Chris was twitching his finger, while he was dying of an anti-biotic resistant infection he contracted in the hospital. If Chris is so much of a man, why can't I do the same?

There will never be a "magic pill." or "the cure." But what we will see becoming more and more common are therapies that make our recoveries easier and let us advance farther faster.
    Eric Texley

I cannot imagine how anyone can determine what at cure will cost. To speak in terms of the nature of the injury, regarding severed or damaged cord nerves that will not reconnect, does not recognize that some day using stem cells such reconnection might indeed be possible. How long will that take, or what will it cost, we all wish we had that answer.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by etexley
    By 100% return of function, we are implying that ones' sensation and motor function will be identical to the pre-injured state. That's not gonna happen...why? Because cutting the spinal cord is much like cutting a fiber cable. How to reconnect each fiber back the way it was originally cut?

But..once we have connections....then we have to re-learn how to innervate ...and also how to sense. What is neurogenic pain? Why doesn my injury change over time? I don't even hesitate to say that my cord is repairing over time. But how to make sense of this?

I know that I can continually improve motor function by periodic visits for EMG biofeedback. I can begin to gain control over my muscles. What level are you? Were your muscles initially denervated? were they flacid? Have you seen any change in this state since you were hurt? It is commonly known that peripheral nerves repair. If so, have you tried lately with an FES unit?

I am fully prepared to spend every day of the rest of my life recovering from my injury...My bet is that Chris was twitching his finger, while he was dying of an anti-biotic resistant infection he contracted in the hospital. If Chris is so much of a man, why can't I do the same?

There will never be a "magic pill." or "the cure." But what we will see becoming more and more common are therapies that make our recoveries easier and let us advance farther faster.
    But what he was saying was that a lot of the fibers are redundant so theres no need for all of them to reconnect to regain function. So what would stop a person from appearing to have a completely repaired spinal cord from the exterior point of view? even the rats they show that have repaired cords seem pretty well recovered maybe not internally but extenally...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    But what he was saying was that a lot of the fibers are redundant so theres no need for all of them to reconnect to regain function. So what would stop a person from appearing to have a completely repaired spinal cord from the exterior point of view? even the rats they show that have repaired cords seem pretty well recovered maybe not internally but extenally...
    Muscles and bone change, thats why you could never be 100%.

If a therapy was available immediately after injury, then maybe
    you would get back 100% function, but not years after an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    Muscles and bone change, thats why you could never be 100%.

If a therapy was available immediately after injury, then maybe
    you would get back 100% function, but not years after an injury.

If there was a magic cure for SCI, once you lose all muscle tone and much range of motion I would not be surprised if the cost of rehab would not be greater than the cost of the fix of the spinal problem.

I will get back 100% and reverse muscle and bone to 100% or better than before.

etex, when the nerve is cut, the side opposite of the neuron dies. there is nothing to connect.