Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 142

Thread: Can you really blame a Quad for committing Suicide?

  1. #101
    Ozy,

    "Dumpster juice". That is the first that I have heard that term and it convinces me that you should iive. I normally never weigh in on these types of discussion, believing that i am incapable, insensate, and incognate of your sensations and feelings. As a scientist watching from the outside, I can only surmise what is going on inside. But, since we have talked, I feel that i should weigh in.

    Come on, my friend. There are many things that are much worse than your spinal cord injury. Imagine if you had cervical spinal cord injury and could not move your arms. Imagine if you had locked in syndrome and everybody thinks that you are just comatose. Imagine if you have head injury and cannot remember anything that happened to you since your accident. Finally, imagine yourself being an able-bodied person who swallows everything that is told. Please, paralysis of the body is not anywhere as bad as paralyis of the brain.

    As far as I can tell, your brain is not only very competent but on overdrive, that you have a talent, and that you should make use of this talent for something else other than justifying suicide. You are one of the smartest people that I have met. Why waste this gift. Make use of it. By the way, if you cure spinal cord injiury along the way, I and everybody else here would be forever grateful.

    Wise.









    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias
    I don't "blame" anybody for committing suicide, and think that if anyone has a good reason to want to die, we do.

    Generally, people's views on suicide are pretty superficial, and this is not surprising considering how many of our delusional beliefs about the world are motivated by an inability to deal with the fact of death.

    "Courage" and "strength", for instance, really have little to do with it, and those who say suicide is "weak" or "cowardly" don't really have much depth. What is going on is that the person sees no REASON to be strong or courageous.

    If I put a pitcher of dumpster juice in front of you and say, "Drink up old boy!" You will likely decline, and if I call you a weakling coward you will probably laugh and say that I am missing the point.

    And the point is that, barring outside incentives, nobody really has any reason to muster whatever it takes to drink dumpster juice. Similarly, if one cannot see any real reason to live as a quad, questions of strength and courage become moot.

    I don't really want this life, but suicide takes a lot of nerve and I haven't been able to do it. Call me a coward if you like. If a person says, "This life is not good enough for me." and decides to commit suicide, I have no problem with that, and actually have respect for their resolve and self-respect.

    People disagree, of course, but in my eyes death is simply annihilation. Therefore, we can either be annihilated now, or years from now. The question is whether our lives are worth living. That is, if the positive things justify all the frustration, heartbreak, and pain. I don't think one can make a definitive claim on this- it's a gamble.

    How good of a gamble is it? In my own case, I'd say it's not so good, and I have access to every resource I could possibly want. It's also a question of standards. What kind of existence is good enough for you? I honestly do not see how I could ever be happy with being in a wheelchair, but that's just me.

    It's the accepted way to consider living the winning choice. People call themselves "survivors" but that's usually just self-flattery. For my own part, I say if you have given it long thought, are completely miserable, and do not see any possible way to ever be happy, go ahead and kill yourself. Then again, if you see a way to live a triumphant life, and have the drive and desire to pursue it, by all means- do it. Your life is yours, and in the end you simply do what you want. You have the power, and the final say. Clayton

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Please, paralysis of the body is not anywhere as bad as paralyis of the brain.

    Wise.
    I'm not sure I completely agree. Those who are ignorant are unaware of their ignorance. However, a brilliant mind in a paralyzed body is a prisoner of his awareness.

  3. #103
    Senior Member canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    2,710
    Well I disagree with you Todd I watched my dad struggle to communicate for 7 years after his stroke & he was fully aware of what was going on. Only a person with a massive brain injury would be totally out of it. SCI is a walk in the park comparitively speaking to a brain injury or a stroke in my opinion

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Well I disagree with you Todd I watched my dad struggle to communicate for 7 years after his stroke & he was fully aware of what was going on. Only a person with a massive brain injury would be totally out of it. SCI is a walk in the park comparitively speaking to a brain injury or a stroke in my opinion
    I agree. I feel blessed with my SCI when I compare it to my friend who had a stroke 2 years ago and still can't put together a full sentence of conversation. It has to be extremely frustrating to not be able to communicate.

  5. #105
    Senior Member Riaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alberton South Africa
    Posts
    390
    Ask God to help you threw every day. He helps me

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Well I disagree with you Todd I watched my dad struggle to communicate for 7 years after his stroke & he was fully aware of what was going on. Only a person with a massive brain injury would be totally out of it. SCI is a walk in the park comparitively speaking to a brain injury or a stroke in my opinion
    I think all of these injuries are devastating to a sound mind. When the spirit is willing, but the body isn't, it's tragic.

  7. #107
    next month begins my 25th year of captivity and i still want to live.

  8. #108
    Senior Member 6string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Crossroads
    Posts
    483
    How can we possibly know what comes after death is better? I know we all hope it is, but is anyone 100% positive? At least, I feel I can handle whatever life deals me. The fear of death should be stronger than wanting to go there.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string
    How can we possibly know what comes after death is better?
    So is the afterlife worse by default for all?

  10. #110
    Senior Member 6string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Crossroads
    Posts
    483
    The question is: are you 100% positive it is better?
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 11:47 AM
  3. Risk Factors for Suicide Similar in China, West
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2002, 11:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2002, 02:28 PM
  5. Family History Linked to Suicide Risk: Study
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •