Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: My Book Is Finally Out There!

Kate, don't be discouraged; DH's been trying to get 2 books published for over 10 years. Has had them read by some major players, all of whom loved the books, just couldn't find a 'niche' for it. Seems the 'niches' are filled up by the likes of a few major author-celebs, and there's barely any room for anyone else. Keep plugging, though - someone's got to see the light!

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    DH's been trying to get 2 books published for over 10 years. Has had them read by some major players, all of whom loved the books, just couldn't find a 'niche' for it.
    Wow; I've read his incredible writing, so I know the "major players" were right to love it.

I don't think the publishing world is set up very well at the moment, when anybody can go into any grocery store in the country and be confronted with racks of mediocre crap, but people like your spouse cannot get into print.

I confess, though, that the old rebel in me likes the do it yourself route, at least in this particular case. It feels like a sort of analog to what Bruce has had to do in terms of rehab. No, no, no, no, no said the voices of a whole line of medical types and insurance types. Screw you, said my husband. If I can get even a tiny bit back, I'm going to.

Likewise, screw you, to the establishment literary world. I don't need your permission to write or be read.

Kate-
    I have been lurking here and reading all I can since my daughter was injured 10 months ago - diving c-6 inc. I have not posted here yet but since I just finished your book, which was amazing, I had to compliment you. I have read alot of textbook sci information but to read someone else's story and find yourself in those pages was so helpful. I cried, I laughed and since it is my daughter who is injured, your trying to help your daughters cope particularly resonated with me. I also have a 14 year old son who has been wonderful since this happened almost too wonderful and I worry about him almost as much as her. Family has been great but none of them know exactly what we are going through and your book and these boards have been a great comfort and source of information. All the people here know so much more than the supposed medical establishment. We also were met in the ER by a Trauma doctor who told us after a 10 minute examination that Kelly would never move anything below her neck and would live her life like "Christopher Reeve, you know Superman, breathing through a straw". This is what this evil man told us. Well, she can now move both her arms and hands although her hands are weak and she can move her legs a bit and is working on strengthening them to stand. Anyway, I am getting off topic. I wanted to congratulate you on a terrific book - it took a lot of courage to put your family's personal moments out there for all of us to share and give us hope.
    Thank you, Sue

You ever go to an airport bookstore? They have 10 or 15 authors. That's it. No wonder people don't read any more, it's so homogeneized. "To Kill A Mockingbird", the best book ever published, would never have been published today, imo. Harper Lee didn't crank them out every 8 months, and she wouldn't have fit the mold of successful author-machines of today.

I've finally got time and concentration to read. I'm ordering today. What a treat to look forward to the arrival of a good book! Thanks, Kate!

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady
    You've done an absolutely incredible job of showing us what it's like, as a life-partner, wading through the mess and trying to keep your own sanity while holding onto your partner and all that's dear. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Couldnt have put it better myself!

Brilliant book Kate, i too laughed and cried all the way through it with you. I felt and still feel many things that you wrote about as an SCI wife. Big thumbs up from me
    Birdy

Yikes, I'm getting nervous--doing my first honest-to-God bookstore reading next week, so thanks for the vote of confidence.

http://villagebooks.booksense.com/NA...eventId=345602

Ok, I'm a little slow, but I read your book last week, Kate. Made the mistake of starting it at work (I always have packages delivered at work, they won't fit in my mailslot in the door at home). Cried through the first pages. It was too real, too close to home and I wasn't sure I could continue. I'm very glad I did, despite many tears and and overwhelming feeling of Deja Vu. Ah, the triumph of Bruce finally walking into the room and back out, only to shit his pants. Ain't that the truth. . Thank you for sharing this very personal experience, I know both the living and telling of it was painful. The reading of it was hard; the writing had to be, as well.
    I'm still digesting it, and comparing experiences (not the recovery aspect, all injuries are unique), the hospital and rehab struggles. They should teach a class on this stuff, LOL.
    Thank you, Kate.
    BeeBee

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBee
    Ah, the triumph of Bruce finally walking into the room and back out, only to shit his pants. Ain't that the truth. . . . They should teach a class on this stuff, LOL.
    Thank you, Kate.
    You're very welcome, and I agree that somebody ought to teach a class on this stuff. It was hard to write . . . I'm so, so glad I did, though.

Here's a mind-blower for y'all on the subject of publishing. This book is in print because I finally got tired of trying to convince the publishing world that there was a market for it and used a print on demand publisher.

The upside of that is that we got to make the book ourselves--writing, editing, layout, cover, title -- all of that was home grown. The downside is that the only way to get it into bookstores is for me to personally carry copies in, show them to owners, and ask if they'll put it on the shelf. They always say yes, but it gets to be a pain in the ass, and I'm limited to my own geographical area.

So -- after selling about 800 copies via the internet and Seattle bookstores, it seemed to me that it was time to offer it again to some publisher. I mean, I had just demonstrated that there's a market, right? Noooooo. Now they're leery because I've already "published" it. Screw them. If I'd listened to their advice ("You should put this in a drawer and forget about it.") there would be no book.

In my head, there's an analogy between my refusal to take no for an answer on the book and our joint refusal to take no for an answer on the cure. How could I just give up when Wise never does, and Bruce never does, and all of you never do?

In my head, there's an analogy between my refusal to take no for an answer on the book and our joint refusal to take no for an answer on the cure. How could I just give up when Wise never does, and Bruce never does, and all of you never do?

Kate
    Very well said!

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang