Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone in Legs Driving Me Crazy!

Tone in Legs Driving Me Crazy!

Over the last two months or so, the tone in both of my legs has gone ballistic. My legs don't shake, shudder, etc., instead they kick out, or raise themselves on and off the platform of my chair randomly. People think I am moving them on my own--don't I wish. If I lean back while transferring, they will stretch themselves out and then stiffen and then I have to lean forward to relax them. If I try and move my legs, I just feel this incredible buildup of what I'll just describe as pressure impulses from my back down to the legs. I'm 15 months post as a T-6 incomplete.

I have read the previous posts on increased tone, but I can't find any posts that would give me a clue as to what's up. I do stretch, I don't have a UTI, I am at the gym three days a week, I'm not on any medications (baclofen does nothing for this). Definitely, not constipated so I am at a loss until I see my SCI doc next month. Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the cause? Thanks.

get use to it , i have same crap. baclofen pump probaly take care of it. my legs haven't lost a bit of muscle , probaly gained some. i still have to use a transfer board to be safe. everytime i just move , out they go. you can put pressure on the backside of your knee and they will stop. gl
    oh well

Are you standing on a regular basis? Gotta work them legs.
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

My legs started getting a lot more spastic about a year and a half post-sci too. It can be very annoying, and causes some difficulties at times; but at least it keeps atrophy at bay. I'm very much against getting on baclofen or anything like that. I hear Mary Jane has a talent for soothing and relaxing jumpy legs, perhaps you should talk to her.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

My legs are all over the place.My abs hurt from doing crunhes.At night it's rough with them jumping.I do range of motion every day.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Okay, thanks guys. I see this comes with the territory for some people and I guess I am in that territory. I do ROM and I use the standing frame and FES cycle while at the gym. My legs have not atrophied and they are actually heavy as crap which makes lifting them a workout within itself. I have lower back muscles and abs working well enough to where I can maintain good balance and not be worried about getting thrown all over the place. At least my motor neurons are still intact--I suppose. Now if only these axons could establish a connection maybe I would be able to friggin' walk!

My son's legs do the same thing. He can trigger his legs to shoot out in front of him by just touching the top of his leg. He keeps a good sence of humor about it. I see him chasing the dog around the house with his legs sticking straight out in front of him . He works out and stands in the stander- this makes no difference. One good thing about all this tone is that he can stand and bare weight and has even taken a step. He also has refused medication.

wow, I didn't think there were so many of us dealing with this. I would rather have any movement then none at all. Stretching only helps for about 1/2 hour afterward, then the legs just get crazy again. I find it's kind of dangerous. For example, I went over a transition strip on my floor and my legs straightened hard then bent, then hit the floor hard enough to launch me out of my chair. I don't know how I managed not to bust my face open on something. I don't take any meds either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy
    Over the last two months or so, the tone in both of my legs has gone ballistic. My legs don't shake, shudder, etc., instead they kick out, or raise themselves on and off the platform of my chair randomly. People think I am moving them on my own--don't I wish. If I lean back while transferring, they will stretch themselves out and then stiffen and then I have to lean forward to relax them. If I try and move my legs, I just feel this incredible buildup of what I'll just describe as pressure impulses from my back down to the legs. I'm 15 months post as a T-6 incomplete.
    Have you tried standing? Before the syringomeylia I was able to stand and it started with increased tone in my legs. I learned how to trigger a spasm and that movement helped me to focus on the muscles in my legs and use what voluntary function I still had. The more I did it, the stronger the muscles got and the easier standing became. Eventually I could stand without triggering a spasm first. It took some time, but standing was totally worth it. Made everything easier. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it's worth trying. It's weird, I don't fantasize much about walking, but I think about standing a lot.

C.

when that happens you should try to move them yourself also.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery