Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pseudomonas

pseudomonas

My husband C5-C6 complete since 1989. Just got back from his urologist and was told that he has an UTI and has a pseudomonas bacterial infection. And to take Uro-Quid,he was also told there is nothing else to be done with this infection but to try to colonize it. With the next resort of suprapubic. Does anyone have any input to this or simular situations?

I think you may be confused by what the physician said. Your husband is probably colonized with pseudomonas, meaning that he has this bug in high levels in his urine by culture, but it is not actually causing an active infection (fever, chills, AD, etc.). Colonization is a condition, not a treatment.

Did he tell you the results of the urine culture sensativity test (is this pseudomonas bug drug resistant)? Has he had the same strain before? Has he been evaluated for stones? What are his bladder pressures from his most recent urodynamics?

A suprapubic is not a treatment for UTIs, but can indeed increase the risks. What is his current bladder managment? Is this urologist an expert in neurologic urology? Have you requested an infectious disease consultation?

(KLD)

Thank you for your input, I do realize that colonization is a condition and not a treatment. He was experiencing chills, fever, AD, ect. His C&S showed high level of pseudomonas. And we were told that he has drug resistance and antibiotics will not help at this point. And this is why he is now on the Uroquid Acid. He is not a neurologic urologist. We live in a small rural community, the closes city to us is Pittsburgh.
    We were told his next move would possibly be a supapubic. We would not concider this option without a second opinion. As far as infectiou disease doctors, he has seen them all in this area (and in the past they " all" missed diagnosted a small open area on his buttocks that opened up for me during cleaning it with a qtip and ended up being a decubiti that had tunneled).
    He currently voids on his own with having caths done when he gets home from work, night and morning. He will void up to 2,000 during the day and 1,ooo during the night with caths residuels being around 200-400.
    He recently had ultrasounds of kidneys and a cystoscopy preformed.

When did he last have urodynamics?

With residuals this high, he probably needs a sphincterotomy or urethral stent if he wants to continue to use an external only. He probably has a high pressure bladder, which can be caused by a tight sphincter. The only way to tell is to get urodynamics (which he should have every 1-2 years anyway).

If his current urologist is not doing this, find another. Going into Pittsburg for a consultation periodically sounds like it might be the best solution for you, even with the hassle of travel.

A suprapubic would probably only make his infection problems worse. It is not a treatment for infection.

(KLD)

I agree with you, Joe needs to see another urologist. And Pitt. would be the best place to go. I am letting him know what you have written back to me, everything you said makes sense and I think he could benefit having a sphincterotomy done. This urologist made a comment about having one and that is as far as that conversation went. I am feeling very uneasy with this doctor we seem to keep "butting heads"! and those were his words to me!!!
    This site is great and you have been very helpful. I am a LPN that took care of spinal cord patience some years ago, but I have been out of practice other than taking care of my husband.
    Thank you for all your time and suggestions.

HELP!!!

Hi Everyone, I'm new at this, so please forgive me if my post is in the wrong place.

I have a RECURRING UTI RESISTANT TO JUST ABOUT EVERTYTHING. I'm waiting for my culture results but am afraid that they may say there is no antibiotic available by mouth. I may insist to be hospitalized just to get rid of it. It has really played havok my quality of life. I'm a very athletic 38 year old, but to me theses UTI's are like Kryptonite to Superman!

Thanks guys! -Steve ticktock66@aol.com

[This message was edited by Ticktock66 on 04-08-04 at 03:34 AM.]

Becky,

Hi. I have so much compassion for what you and husband are going thru.

I suffered with same bacteria for years.

Blessings to both of you and let me know if you need any more help. KLD has certainly helped.

Best
    Jim Mac

Hi,
    Please, I'm not a medical professional. But, an "old school" nurse told me about getting rid of pseudomonas - in UTI situation, and even topically. For UTI, flush with catheter, 50% water, 50% vinegar. Ask around first, maybe one of our super nurses can give their opinion.
    Good Luck,
    Cathy

(oops, did it again, posted under Dan by mistake!)

Do they still try Hytrin to get the bladder sphincter to open easier? Might ask a good neuro-uro if a drug like that might reduce the residuals that KLD mentioned.

Ticktock? The best place to pick up an infection these days is a hospital! Other than letting them deal with bowel prep before a colonoscopy best to be treated at home if possible. Many insurance companies would prefer you get a pick line and have a visiting RN stop by to help if needed. It's cheaper for them and safer for you.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Thanks Jim,
    We have been having a time of it lately. Seems now that Joe is going on 15 years into this everything is happening!!! But we keep on going and keep faith.
    God Bless to all of you,
    I am so happy to have found this site, its been years since I talked to people that deal with everyday situations simuliar to ours.
    Happy Easter Everyone